Whats the best way to adjust a 5Kgsk?

Light It Up

My pump has a 5Kgsk in it and it is VERY VERY touchy. Right now I have idle set a 600rpm cuz if I go any higher it will rev up to about 1700Rpm and stay there untill I get in and put a load on it and it will go back down. I love it other than Im having a hell of a time getting my idle set at around 800 and not let it idle up when I slap the throttle.

Are these brand new or used? Someone told me that before they install 5k you need to get the tension out of them. Pretty much involves a rubber and brute strength. Take each spring and whack it about 3 times then reinstall them. After that normal driving will take the rest of the tension out in time.

mike

But what I dont get is y was I tap the throttle and hit 800rpm it revs to 1700 and sits there untill I hold the brake and lug it in gear so it will drop the rpm under 800 and then it will idle fine under 800.

Bump! Sure would like to figure this out. I guess Im wondering if its in the GSK or in my pump?

I wouldnt know the answer to that. You need to get ahold of a injection pump shop and see what they say

Are they Columbus springs? And do you have any shims in under them? They can be a PITA to setup in some pumps with an auto trans.

I believe his is a stick truck.

I actually tightened mine a click to get them to quit hanging up. I thought it was backwards but that is what the pump shop told me and it worked.

I have 3k and does the same thing. Idle it up to 750 and it will increase to 1000 as it warms up or just drive it and stop and there it is idling at 1000. Backed off 2 clicks and it still does it. Gonna try 1 more click.:doh:

Ok let me know if you get it figured out. Oh and these are Scheid springs. Thanks

It could be a sticky gov. I just had a truck in the shop that was acting this way with 4k springs. The guy had another pump that he wanted installed and he wanted the springs swapped. I swapped the springs and shims out of his old pump and adjusted the nuts as close as possible to where they were in the old pump, the new one works beautiful.

If the gov was sticking it would do it when you let off the throttle, even if the idle is low enough to be steady.

If the gov was sticking it would do it when you let off the throttle, even if the idle is low enough to be steady.
If it was a sticky throttle wouldnt it stick at the RPM you go to insted of idling up to 1700 everytime also?

Yes, timing will play a part it the idle climbing to. You just need to play with it a little to see what works. I got mine to idle at 700 when warm, never messed with it any more.

Ya Il play with it 2marow and back the spring out a coupld clicks and see what happens. Thanks for the help

Ok I tightened it a click and nothin changed but mine ilde is around 750 instead of 600. It still hangs up and almost revs to 2k. From the top of the stud to the inside bottom of the nut it measures 0.127. What should it measure? Thanks

I thought from the top of the stud to the top of the nut was .060. I think that's about what mine was before I back them off two clicks.