Whats wrong with this truck???

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
I went and had a look at a '95 3500 with 112K miles 4x4 auto. Nice truck, BUT it has a serious issue.
Granted the batt's were both dead, one ground cable was loose, and it was 30* (nuthin for a good cummins)
Symptoms:
*But it will start missing and blowing lots of blue smoke above 1500 RPM on a free idle. *If you rev on it, it huffs even more blue smoke, and pops n farts, n bucks, n seems like it runs out of fuel. (will it run with a bad lift pump like the 1st gen?)
*Once the RPMs drop back down under 1500 it misses for a second maybe 2 then cleans up.
*Cold it huffs a lil more blue smoke then it should, and has a slight miss, till it warms up a bit. Once warm, the blue is gone, till u rev it over 1500 where it misses.
*Warm there is no idleing miss till 1500.

The blue smoke smells clearly of unburnt fuel, not oil or antifreeze. Now it does look clearly to have been beaten on, not so much body wise, but just the overall appearance and whats been done for modifications, NOT to the motor. However the timing cover has been off obviously. KDP?

I thought burnt piston or a hole in a piston, but it idles nice when warm. It hasent been listed for sale yet its out back of the dealers garage. I guess the buyer backed out when they saw it. Hmmm go figure.

Whats been checked and asked:
*Supposivly they drove it and it drove fine 3 weeks ago.
*The oil is clean and smells like oil, though the Napa oil filter isnt so clean.
*Its slingin oil from the timing cover, (crappy blue RTV job?)

The dealer says 9-9500 fixed, ABS light, Brake light, 4x4 light, airbag light, reupholstered driver seat and center glove box top, headliner, and front bumper replaced. Not a bad deal for the miles and what all has been done to it I dont think. BUT heres the kicker, he'll wheel n deal with me if I take it as is. The motor acting up is working in my favor big time, I would have the airbag light fixed before i took it, and I know what the problem is with the ABS light.

I just wanna know whats wrong with the motor, and if u can offer some guidance on the 4x4 light that would be nice, It was in 2wheel drive i shifted the t-case into and out of 4high. Thanks guys! I know its a long post.

There is a possibility if the dowel pin came out that gear damage has occured and created a timing issue. ( Gear spun on injection pump. )
I would hope it goes real cheap.
There may be some pretty expensive repairs in store for you.?

Ok, sorry, I have no help here as to what's wrong with this truck, other then it needs to find a big ass coffin LOL. but JR!!!!! YOU'RE ALIVE!!!! How's the dancin feet??? I've missed hearing from you! How's the little one? How's life? Don't be a stranger there buddy!

Hmmm...... It is possible its fallen victim to the KDP, the timing cover has obviously been off, do to the blue RTV stickin out round the edges. The motor itself makes no odd sounds, no ticks, or knocks. Other then the RTV, and the oil slung on the alt. n on the bottom of the timing case itself.

Hey Ang. How r ya?? I'll shot ya a PM, the Dancin feet aint so good. :(

my dads 97 did this allittle bit till we turned the timing up to 14* and it helped

definately sounds like they didn't get the timing set right after they did whatever they were doing in the timing case... I say buy it for a song, bump the timing to 16* and enjoy

I agree.

Did get some input from a friend of mine, his bud has an early second gen, and apparently he had the same thing going on. They stuffed in a set of 370 marines that were setting around and it was fixed. Goin to see just how low this guy will go.

Sounds like the timing is way off, and maybe the injectors are a little worn, which is exaggerated by the cold. Probably a good tuning and cleaning of the fuel system would cure it.-Nicholas

its the timing. make sure you clean the shaft and gear with some brk cleaner before you set the gear

If its got a fuel leak anywhere in the system it will be hard to start and blow ALOT of white smoke until all of the air is worked out of the sytem.
12 valves are bad for this. 24 valves do it to but not as bad, because you can cycle the key on to get the fuel pump to come on to prime the sytem somewhat.
This is one of the joys of mechanical injection.

timeing and injectors would help like everyone else said let us know how good of a deal you get

cahammer said:
timeing and injectors would help like everyone else said let us know how good of a deal you get

Will do! Pretty much everyone so far is pointing at timing. Im going to go and drive it just for grins monday, so I can get a general idea of everything else with the truck.

we had a truck do the exact same thing and it had a bad pump we timed it and timed it and timed it couldnt figure it out till we got the pump off and in the shop it wasnt fueling right needed rebuilt so we put a new pump on and it ran great but like everyone said id try timeing first it wont cost you a thing