Wheel spacers...

DOUBLE NICKEL

I have an 04.5 4x4 dually that has bigger tires than factory...265/70/17 to be exact and they are very very close and am affraid that when i hook up the gooseneck and put weight on it that they will rub. I was told that they make a 1/2" and a 1" spacer. I was also told that if you go with the 1/2" which im sure thats all i need that you can still use the stock studs, is this true? Also does anyone use them and where can i get some? Thanks.

Negative ghost rider. I don't know about the 4.5's, but on the 02's like mine, you can space them out .375 but any further, you run out of lug stud. Then next jump is 1.75 inches (just past the end of the studs) so you can put the other rim on. There is a thread about it, let me find it. Hold please.

http://www.heartlanddiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312&highlight=spacer&page=2

Here's a copy of what I posted. I don't know if there is much difference in the 16's and 17's but if you find a 1 inch spacer you let me know. I don't think that is mechanically IMPOSSIBLE (edit) without replaceing the lug studs with longer ones. If you load her down and get one rock in between them, you just bought two new tires. :D

From Heartland Diesels:

I see you want larger tires on a DUALLY. If you go anything wider than 255/85R16's, you'll need spacers and maybe a little bit for the 255's. I an currently running 285/75r16's on my truck. They are load range D and I load the hell out of them. Load range E isn't always the best. These D's are rated at more load per tire than the same tire in say a 235 or 265 load range E. I bought Kumho MT's from Jegs.com for $120 per tire delivered. I have yet to be stuck and trust me, I test 'em. I pulled my neighbors 2001 with a Hydrabed and two round bales out of the ditch in the rain a while back. Suprised the hell out of me too. It put me in the ditch to do it, but I got out once the chain was removed and we both drove home. You will need spacers of at least 1.75 inches on a dodge to get 285's on. Optimal would be about 1.25 inches but you can't clear the lug studs if they are that thin. Most on the shelf are 2.00 inches and I had some made a little thinner. Only thing, the outside wheel won't be hubcentric or even lug centric. Just slap it on and tighten it up. That is all you can do without modifying the rims. And if you do that, you can't rotate tires. I pull HEAVY trailers and have never had any problems.

Another note, when stepping up to a 285 width from a 235 my milage dropped almost 3 mpg. It sucks. My next set will be 255's, a happy medium that are the same height at the 285's but thinner. I keep my ground clearance but reduce my rolling friction dramatically. I also have a .375 inch plate with the 8x6.5 bolt pattern drilled out that I can put between the thinner tires. I like more room between the for mud to clean out. Duals that are close to each other are useless as tits on a bore.

Hopefully this helps and maybe makes you think of more questions that we can discuss one at a time instead of the metric butt load of sh*t I just typed. :D

235/85r16 stock rims
23585R16stockrims.jpg

235/85r16 with .375 spacer
23585R16375spacer.jpg

265/75r16 stock rims (please don't do this)
26575R16stockrims.jpg

Current Setup
DSC02094.jpg

Nice, i am running the 265/70/17 cooper stt mud terrain. Do you have any idea where i can get spacers?

I have 2" alummium spacers on my o4.5 with 35X12.50. I am taking them off ant putting steel ones on. I have pulled in the neighberhood of 15000 on them. I know guy that pull 40' float with a 100hp tractor and 6 or 8 round bails on it and never had a problem.

I had mine made by a guy named Lenny (lennystahl@motorsport-tech.com) for $90 each. They are probably more now that has been a couple years. Email him and see if he still makes them. Mine are 1.75 inches and most off the shelf ones are 2 inches. If you can't get a hold of Lenny, try Fred (fred@wheeladapter.com). Fred will give you hell for them not being hub-centric on the outer wheel, but Like Shrek said, I gross 25-30K all the time and have yet to have any trouble. I check them for cracks when I rotate tires. 6061-T6 Aluminum is pretty tough. My wheels actually are too far apart for my liking, but what do you do? I couldn't for the life of me find longer studs to replace the stockers with so I could use a straight through spacer like I wanted to. Sucks taking off 16 nuts to pull both wheels off. Good luck.

I got to thinking last night after I posted up. I have heard of people running 275s with no spacers without touching with a load on the truck. I dont know the truth behind it but you might look or ask around and see. With the 6061 T-6 the factory studs will break before that spacer gives. Just something to think about. There is one bad thing about spacers just so you know. Most tire big name tire places wont touch the truck. I think its BS but what do I know. I even went as far as trying to convince them that the only difference between a dually and a single rear wheel is a wheel spacer in the front. That still didnt work. Also went and pulled stuff up on the net about them and showed them that those spacers were rated for more then the truck is. I dont know if they are just stupid or retarded but I dont think Ill ever be going back to those big name places again.