where did reverse go?!?!

B18B1LS1

Made a few dyno pulls on Saturday and apparently had some carnage! Put the truck in reverse to back out and nothing. You can feel the truck shift into reverse but then nothing happens from there. Any ideas?

Yep, completely normal minus reverse. And I noticed today on flat ground, reverse will barely barely move the truck if I put it up around 2500 rpms. So its there, just barely engaging I guess.

The front (direct) clutch pack, the low/reverse band, and the OD direct clutch pack are used in reverse.

As was already asked, do all forward gears work? If so, then you can eliminate the direct clutch pack from that list and focus on the low/reverse band and OD direct clutch pack.

My suspicion is that there is something wrong with the valve body or the low/reverse band causing the issue, but it is hard to say without being able to see the truck.

put the truck in manual 1st and drive the truck, let off of the throttle and notice if the truck slows down as the rpm's drop. If it drops back down to idle without the truck slowing down at all then its the low/reverse band.

It will act as if its in drive, and not manual 1st.

Damn.... Didn't you have tranny issues this time last Year? After a dyno run nonetheless???? First weekend of March is not kind...

The front (direct) clutch pack, the low/reverse band, and the OD direct clutch pack are used in reverse.

As was already asked, do all forward gears work? If so, then you can eliminate the direct clutch pack from that list and focus on the low/reverse band and OD direct clutch pack.

My suspicion is that there is something wrong with the valve body or the low/reverse band causing the issue, but it is hard to say without being able to see the truck.

x2

put the truck in manual 1st and drive the truck, let off of the throttle and notice if the truck slows down as the rpm's drop. If it drops back down to idle without the truck slowing down at all then its the low/reverse band.

^^^ easy way to tell where to look... My friends' 94 4x4 did the same thing after he rebuilt it (I offered to help). Turns out he needed new selective spacers on the Intermediate shaft and the OD piston :doh:

Damn.... Didn't you have tranny issues this time last Year? After a dyno run nonetheless???? First weekend of March is not kind...

Ha ha! Yep, that joke has been tossed around a bunch by my buddies! Dynos are not my friend apparently. At least this time I could drive home though!

That's exactly what it does, no engine braking.

I would say you have lost the low/reverse. Pull the pan and look.

I will as soon as I figure out what that means :hehe: Can I still drive it like this, or am I only going to make things worse?

Last edited:
I will as soon as I figure out what that means :hehe: Can I still drive it like this, or am I only going to make things worse?

I've got a buddy going on 5 years with no reverse so yes you can drive it the way it is.

I would drop the pan and check things out however, because depending on what broke you may cause more damage and cost yourself more at rebuild time.

If its a big project I'm not even going to worry about it. The plan was to run this tranny until it gave up on me, and so far this has been the first major problem it's had. It has been one AMAZING stock tranny!

depends what you consider a big project. the low/reverse band is the rear band in the trans, used in manual 1st and reverse. if the band itself let go you have to pull all the trans internals out of the case in order to get to the rear band. it could also just be something small like the anchor or strut, or apply piston. pull the pan off and you will be able to see the problem.

Gotcha, thanks a ton for dumbing it down for me! I know about zero when it comes to transmissions!

Reb bought a truck the other day that BARELY had reverse. It turned up to the be the Overdrive direct. The snap ring had broke. That is probably about the easiest to fix.

That would be sweet! Hopefully I'll find out something this weekend.

So wow you really only have a VB in your tranny and it made almost 600hp? that is awesome, i thought surely you had more than a Vb.