Which Cummins is easier/cheapest to modify?

skidmann

skidmann
OK guys. I want some opinions here. I'm thinking about returning to truck pulling in the next couple of years. I'm curious which truck(Cummins for me please, others need not apply) yall think is the cheapest to modify? I've played this game before so I obviously am using the word "cheap" as a relative term. I don't own a truck now so I have the ability to look around at different platforms before I buy.
I'm thinking 1995-98 3500 (or 2500 w/manual) xcab 4x4. Just comes with dana 80 already and the 12 valve pump is pretty easy to modify. Since I have done this before one thing I really want this time around are some RPMs coming from underneath the hood!
I really liked my VP truck but you just can't get enuff RPMs and not enuff HP with a 2.6 charger. IMO
Any help appreciated!

id do a common rail with the 6 speed, 3500 excab. prolly just as cheap to modify as the 12v and easier to get big horsepower from the looks of it you can just through a couple tuners on it, a turbo and some injector tips and run some impressive numbers. the initial cost of the common rail will likly be more than a 12v.

What did you have when you played this game before?

He had a red VP truck excab long bed dually. Glad to see your getting back into the game Micah. What happened to the old puller?

id do a common rail with the 6 speed, 3500 excab. prolly just as cheap to modify as the 12v and easier to get big horsepower from the looks of it you can just through a couple tuners on it, a turbo and some injector tips and run some impressive numbers. the initial cost of the common rail will likly be more than a 12v.

he also said he want's RPM.....

I'd say a 4x4 QC long bed dually 12v from 96-98...

Me personally engine wise, a CR and a 12V really cost about the same once you get into a high HP build. The 12v will be alot easier and cheaper to get more RPM though. Going with a stand alone ECM is really the only way to match the RPM capabilities of a p-pump engine. Chassis wise, I believe the CR chassis is more suited from the factory. The AAM axles seem to be alot stoughter in factory form. I believe a CR chassis with a 12v engine would be a pretty tough competitor. But to each thier own i guess.

I agree with what I've read so far on both sides of the arguement. IMO 2003+ chassis are stronger with few exceptions (ie G56). The AAMs can almost hold 500 HP without breaking. Even night after nite of pulling. But I think I'm going to go single rear wheel this time. So beefing up the Dana 80 should be enuff to hold 600-700 HP. It just seems like to get that much power out of a 12v takes bigger than 2.6 charger. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe I should have asked a different question. Can you make big power with RPMs in a 12v without building a $50k engine? I'd like 4500-5000 RPMs and 700 hp in the 2.6 class. Is that possible?
I sold big red to some boys down in western KY. Close to Mayfield I think. You probly saw it if you went to Scheids.

If you do not whant to build a 50,000 dollar engine. by a Ford with a 6.4L Powerstroke.
programmer, exhaust, Air intake, And 150 hp injector nozzles and a good Turbo(s) upgrade you will be 750 to 800 RWHP.. and they will not stop you.. you could pull the sled the hol way to the end....

Thanx for the suggestion but I already have one blue oval and I think we will all agree thats enuff.:stab:

Proformance pro's has upgraded parts for the AAM's. Axle shafts and spool for the rear, and get an E-locker or an Air Locker for the front, unless you want to weld the spiders solid, would hold more than a built D-80/60 setup IMHO. Like I said before, the CR and 12v builds would probably cost near the same to equal HP and RPM with both. More on the CR yes i know, but by the time you have all of the supporting mods in a 12v to make and hold that RPM down the track, The CR probably will not cost too much more.

If you do not whant to build a 50,000 dollar engine. by a Ford with a 6.4L Powerstroke.
programmer, exhaust, Air intake, And 150 hp injector nozzles and a good Turbo(s) upgrade you will be 750 to 800 RWHP.. and they will not stop you.. you could pull the sled the hol way to the end....

You will still have 50k plus into a 6.4 build. The dam truck will cost 45k or better. then throwin your list of goodies on it. :doh:

You will still have 50k plus into a 6.4 build. The dam truck will cost 45k or better. then throwin your list of goodies on it. :doh:

I said engine cost.. 45k for a 6.4L Truck?????LOLLOL
You can get the King Ranch F-350 4x4 CC LongBox with all the options and 60 to 80 thousand miles on them, for 25 to 34 thousand dollars....:poke:

I was just messing with the OP...:woohoo:

The OP mentioned he did not want 50k into "just" the engine.:poke:

Have fun and i hope you build goes good. Theres nothing like a diesel wound up pulling..

It just seems like to get that much power out of a 12v takes bigger than 2.6 charger. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe I should have asked a different question. Can you make big power with RPMs in a 12v without building a $50k engine? I'd like 4500-5000 RPMs and 700 hp in the 2.6 class. Is that possible?

that depends on your definition of a 2.6 charger...

that depends on your definition of a 2.6 charger...

Good point! My definition of a 2.6 charger is one that has a cover small enuff to fit under the hood without either a body lift or cutting the hood!LOL If it won't spool at all on the street it's probly to big for me anyway.