Which dmax is the best?

73stroke99

I am a diehard ford guy here and i have been thinking about buying a dmax but GM only made like 10 different versions over the years. Which is the best, performance and towing? Also, how well do the allysons hold up? What the max safe hp for them and the engine before I have to hang curtians up in my block?

thanks guys in advance.
Chancey

Only four that I know of:

I think this is pretty much correct
LB7 01-04.5
LLY 04.5-05
LBZ 06-07.5
LMM 07.5+ New emmisions

If your gonna leave it stock but want the option of modding without having to do DPF delete, Buy the LBZ...

But I'm sure my Dmax guys will chime in on this with much more knowledge!

Last edited:
well im thinking heavily modded down the road so i want the better of the bunch to start out with....
thanks

If money wasnt an issue, buy an LMM and ditch the dpf, egr and other stuff. If you need something a little cheaper, but an LBZ/LLY and ditch the egr. I would stay away from an 01-02 LB7 because they are now getting out of the injector warranty that GM extended (unless you find one dirt cheap, then go for it...)

$.02

what years did the lmm come in and lbz/lly...whats the difference?...sorry i bought my first chevy back in march 1978 k30 4x4 that im doing a frame off on. And i am kinda liking a dmax. i feel like im venturing to the dark side.

how does working on them compare to my powerstroke? pain to get to everything? like removing the turbo etc. what should i do first when i get one? performance wise...how does the allyson hold up to performance parts?

01-04 have inj issues cover under a 7 yr/200k wannentee.. 02 are falling out of the warrentee.
5 speed allisong hold ~100hp over stock then limp.
6spees allisions hold ~200 over stock them limp.

01-04.5 ran LB7.. the 50state trucks (ca) have egr on them and all run tradition style turbos (IHI make)
04.5-06 run LLY 06 lly were ZF6 trucks
06-07.5 is lbz and 6 speed allisons(tranny/lift pump, tie rod sleaves, efi live with good tuning=low 12 sec truck)

~500rwhp is the agreed max rwhp for livable stock rods on the LB7/LLY motors LBZ you can push 600 before they shorten.

i have a SC4 in mine wiht 63,000 miles on it.. no problems yet. good for 800rwhp on a sled truck which about when you break in/out-put shafts or 1000 on drag strip

like Jwhite said get the newest you can afford.

basic build up on a dmax.
~billet rods crower
~piston de-liping the stock cast pistons they are good for 750-800 easy
~woodruff key both the crank and cam shaft snub.. OEM is a .125" dowel pin.. handfule of people have lost and engine do to it shearing with stock power.
~heads studs.. have the block bored/honed with them installed... iirc wall flexs ~.002-.004" when install and tq..
~main studs.

LB7/LLY mahle pistons are the prefer oem pistons.. then will fit 06 and new cranks
fordge pistons are an option afaik MAHLE AND ARIAS are the only two makeing fordge psitons. everything else is re-badged

lbz piston WILL NOT fit lb7/lly cranks. the lb7/lly crank has a larger swing radius(counter weight) then the lbz and newer. the balancer/flexplate are interchanger through all years.. just remeber if you mix lbz to lb7/lly you will be adding alot of mallory to ballance it.

As for working on, there is nothing that compares to the 6.0 for pain in the butt... but the duramax is still a v configuration, so it has its limitations for workability

wow thats alot of info! basecally get an 04 to 05...how well do the zf6 trannys hold? also whats the average cost to build a good allison? and efi live?

wow thats alot of info! basecally get an 04 to 05...how well do the zf6 trannys hold? also whats the average cost to build a good allison? and efi live?
johnboy is runs a ZF6 in a 3.0 class sled pulling theres a couple others as well.

~2500 will get you a sc4 or equivalant and DIY.. labor is another 500-1500 pending were you have it done.

efi liver runs 750.00... most deallers will give you a free tune to start out with.

As for working on, there is nothing that compares to the 6.0 for pain in the butt... but the duramax is still a v configuration, so it has its limitations for workability

true its no "I" motor thats for sure..

un like ford or dodge GM doesnt run magor cab forward design. meanign the cowl barely cover the rear most cylinders.

so how much of a pain in the a$$ is it to remove the engine to install studs and cam, rods, etc?

so how much of a pain in the a$$ is it to remove the engine to install studs and cam, rods, etc?

2 guys and pull the motor and have it on the stand in under 2.5 hours. read to strip it down to a long block

The ZF isn't an issue under normal operation. The clutch/dual mass flywheel setup, however, is one step above a boat anchor.

this is the one with the zf6...i dont like the mileage though...

whats the milage... ~200k these trucks are just fine..
i had 90k on my engine when i lost the injectors (lb7) cross hatching looking brandnew.