Which dmax is the best?

You screwed me out of a T, you prick... LOL

Yup, sure do...It's been a good truck, but it is on its second flywheel with less than 50K on it.

suck-it-up my spelling has been getting better over the last 3 years... :poke:

get your self a big single clutch?

suck-it-up my spelling has been getting better over the last 3 years... :poke:

get your self a big single clutch?

There is no way it could have gotten worse... LOL

Nope, second factory set up..When it gives up again, aftermarket will be what replaces it.

malibu...the truck has over 200k

whats the condition of the rest of the truck? and how well was it taken care off?

merchant automotive did a tear down ondmax with 500k for curousity. all specs were good. replaced the gaskets and put it back into services..

scott... might remeber that thread in DP.

this was posted on DP in-related ot and 06 truck
295,000 miles Edge Juice since 4000 miles, left front wheel bearing replaced 2 months ago as well as all 4 disk brakes for the 1st time. One tranny cooler line replaced as well as a power steering line. The Brake booster I think its called that was also changed, other than that nothing wrong with the truck. I did make a post the other day about blowing Black Smoke but when I took the Edge out of the truck it all stopped so it must of crapped out or needs an update. Looking to sell the truck & get a 4500 2 wheel drive crew cab SOON.
this is a 04.5
240,000 miles....stopped driving heavy miles in the transport business a few months back when Elkhart, Indiana shutdown. I've never had any problems w/her and she still runs like new. Only complaints are steering shaft rattle (I've tried fixing a few times), lights on steering wheel are out......that's it! My fuel mileage averages about 20.5 on the highway and about 18.5 in the city(unloaded) and about 12-15 loaded (14,000lbs)......not bad for a 1 ton! My last truck was the lly and it also performed great w/over a 100,000 trouble free miles........

Last edited:
same guy that posted this
295,000 miles Edge Juice since 4000 miles, left front wheel bearing replaced 2 months ago as well as all 4 disk brakes for the 1st time. One tranny cooler line replaced as well as a power steering line. The Brake booster I think its called that was also changed, other than that nothing wrong with the truck. I did make a post the other day about blowing Black Smoke but when I took the Edge out of the truck it all stopped so it must of crapped out or needs an update. Looking to sell the truck & get a 4500 2 wheel drive crew cab SOON.

posted this hit 300k in september
I now have 302,000 miles on my 2006 truck and 99% of those miles are pulling my 34 foot enclosed 18,000lb trailer. So besides the things that got fixed under warrantee which were a few sensors with the turbo vanes I just lately changed these items all when I had about 285,000 miles. The left front wheel bearing, the center drive shaft bearing, 2 U joints on the drive shaft, my 1st set of brakes, Fan belt and 1 belt pulley it felt like it wasn’t running smooth like it had a rumble to it so I changed that, the belt tensioner same problem with the pulley on it but you have to buy the whole thing, drivers side AC control valve it was blowing hot air sometimes, the passenger side is doing it now but living in Florida I don’t turn it to heat so I am not looking to fix that one I hear its a pain to take the dash apart so the AC is on all the time on the passenger side but the AC is on 24/7 anyway. I do need a new set of batteries because if I don’t start the truck for 3 days they will not start the truck so I just start it if I am not going to use it for a few days let it run 5 minutes and shut it off. To cheap to buy batteries right now because I want a 4500 so why spend the money. These other parts I changed during the life of the truck, the Brake Booster it was leaking out the weep hole and the two high pressure hoses from the power steering pump to the booster, one transmission line it was rubbing and got a small leak in it, one idle arm and that’s it for parts. The truck doesn’t burn any oil in between oil changes and I change it like clock work with no more than 4000 miles and the rear gets changed about every 20,000 and the transmission about the same but I pull the return line off and flush 5 gallons through it every time when I do it. The Allison dealer here in Ocala only charges about $18 dollars and change for a gallon so I figure it’s cheap enough to do. I seen some dealers when I lived in NY charge 40 a gallon for that stuff and the dealer here could not believe it so that’s why I change it so often. I hit the button and you can see how many hours are on the motor because I do have a lot of idle time also from sleeping in the truck being on the road in the summer with the AC running and winter with the heat on. But I am more than pleased with the 302,000 miles I have on it which I racked up pretty fast with all the driving I do. I do have a picture I took the other night coming home from the baseball game in Tampa I was on I75 North bound, it was with my phone and it’s a little blurry from the driving and check out the mph and how many MPG I get at that speed. Without the trailer I tend to have a heavy foot with the juice set on level #6 and I hope to have someone remove the speed limiter for me this week. Not bad for an 8000lb dually truck with 302,000 miles on it, and when I step on it and pass them cars and they see that smoke they slam on the brakes. I think that’s just so funny Check out the pictures of the hours on the truck and the oil pressure which isn’t bad for this many miles when it was at a idle in the driveway plus the mpg around town which is almost the same as on the highway.
Diesel Place - View Single Post - Post your miles!

mileage dosent bother me when I look at buying something. BUT, if its starting to rust I leave and dont even turn around. Im a diesel tech, not a putty buddie lol.

Happy truck hunting!

i dunno i like the dmax for the power you can get out of them...i just hate buying a 6.4 and ruining the warranty when i mod it.

I chose the LB7 so I wouldn't have to contend with the EGR setup at all. I know you can do the "delete"...but I didn't want the hardware clutter on there at all.

And as far as "injector warranty" is concerned...why should anyone care about an extended injector warranty? If a person is considering alot of mods and spending thousands on everything from head studs, electronics, turbos, trannys, rods etc etc...whats the big deal about getting a set of injectors and dropping them in?

If you do a bunch of mods...is a dealership going to honor an injector warranty?

I'd get a 2004 LB7 truck with an Allison automatic.

I should probably also say...I'm not calling the LB7 best. I'm saying its what I'd start with personally. You'd not make a mistake starting with a LB7. They are all good really.

Whereas when a person says Powerstroke...there's the 7.3, 6.0 and 6.4. Entirely different platforms. Each one has totally different rules and limitations.

To me the Duramax engines are all "identical" and without major physical differences. Electronic changes, injector changes and turbo changes...yes. But the core is still there.

I should probably also say...I'm not calling the LB7 best. I'm saying its what I'd start with personally. You'd not make a mistake starting with a LB7. They are all good really.

Whereas when a person says Powerstroke...there's the 7.3, 6.0 and 6.4. Entirely different platforms. Each one has totally different rules and limitations.

To me the Duramax engines are all "identical" and without major physical differences. Electronic changes, injector changes and turbo changes...yes. But the core is still there.

I wouldnt say entirely different the 6.0 uses some things that were used on the 7.3. now the 6.4 is entirely different than both of them in a good way :rockwoot: i do agree with you that the dmax are identical with each other and only have had minor changes i wish they could have gotten the 7.3 to pass emissions so they wouldnt of had to go to the 6.0. Izuzu did a good job on keeping with the same platform thats for sure.

Not to knit pick...but I said "entirely different platforms". Not entirely different, as in principles of operation or fuel delivery. The 7.3/6.0 blocks, heads, cranks etc are physically different. They did share fuel delivery ideas (hydraulic or high pressure engine oil). Whereas the 6.4L went to common rail principles.

The Duramax now is an evolution of the original common rail V8 of 2001.

From what I remember the ZF6 used by GM has no oil pump like its for counterpart. That severely limits its lifespan towing heavy.

Just something to think about.

I wouldnt say entirely different the 6.0 uses some things that were used on the 7.3. now the 6.4 is entirely different than both of them in a good way :rockwoot: i do agree with you that the dmax are identical with each other and only have had minor changes i wish they could have gotten the 7.3 to pass emissions so they wouldnt of had to go to the 6.0. Izuzu did a good job on keeping with the same platform thats for sure.

Izusu owns no more part of the dmax than ford owns of Cummins. GM owns FULL rights to the motor

Yes Izusu help make the dmax.. they dont own any rights to it...

as for then 6.4 your still sub par on the head bolt to bore count

Izusu owns no more part of the dmax than ford owns of Cummins. GM owns FULL rights to the motor

Yes Izusu help make the dmax.. they dont own any rights to it...

as for then 6.4 your still sub par on the head bolt to bore count

oh i did not know that thanks for the info.

how many does the dirty have per bore? im not too worried about it though only a few guys and had leaky heads on 6.4's and most of them were stock

oh i did not know that thanks for the info.

how many does the dirty have per bore? im not too worried about it though only a few guys and had leaky heads on 6.4's and most of them were stock

dmax has 18 main bolts and 4 additional 10mm bolt to bridge the vlv train galley per side ~4.5 bolts per bore

iirc 6.4 is is alot closer to 4 then 4.5

IMO holding stock power doesnt really test then head bolts... stock Dmax head bolt usually last till 550-650 mark on big single little more with twins