Which is best,...slicks, or locked in 4X4

OT-OF-Here

Owner of the Black Beach
Would it be better to run with slicks or locked in? How much parasetic power is lost with the hubs locked in? I have Dynatrac hubs and could just unlock 'em and go with slicks. What size slicks work best with a 3:73 rear? Would street slicks work better as their would be less drag on mid and top end? Thoughts?

Subscribing..

I like 4x4 myself....But I wonder is Slicks could match the 60fts. like a 4x4 on the same truck...

in 3rg gen truck true slicks arnt readily available in proper sizes to hook up these trucks. 4x4 and set of drag radials or even 4 on the hoosier 10 inch slicks designed for 17inch rims would prolly be the shizz as well

Can't get the M and H connection to work

Probably my computer this AM.

Is a 30" to 31" the ideal height for 3:73s?

Probably my computer this AM.

Is a 30" to 31" the ideal height for 3:73s?

Depends on what mph and rpm you want to run through the traps. At 119mph and a 29" tire, I'm pulling about 3400 exiting the traps (as best as I can tell from the tach). With the set of 31" tires I have it's about 3200 same mph. I like the smaller tire, because they decrease the reaction times at the starting line.

Also before someone does the math on this, the numbers won't match. Tire size at the finish line is different the static. Also the average trap speed, is slower then the actual exit speed (though in most cases not by much).

Paul

Definately run in 4x4. If you work with your suspension a little bit you can easily run into the 10's on a good street radial like a proxie or a falken.

Like Paul was saying, depending on where you want to trap is how you would decide on your tires. I have been running a 32" tall tire, but I am starting to think that I might want to sacrifice some top end for better bottom end, and a little easier on parts like the tranny and tc.

It's been awhile, but...

Definately run in 4x4. If you work with your suspension a little bit you can easily run into the 10's on a good street radial like a proxie or a falken.

Like Paul was saying, depending on where you want to trap is how you would decide on your tires. I have been running a 32" tall tire, but I am starting to think that I might want to sacrifice some top end for better bottom end, and a little easier on parts like the tranny and tc.

I recall AKRAM saying he picked up .4 by going back to his stock height tires from I believe 305s. That's a lot.

With the lack of respect of the horrible weight distribution of a diesel equipped 2x4 I would stick with 4x4 for max hook. Sure the power loss of 4x4 is something t think about but not sure if it offsets the 60' advantage which is far more important imho at the weight we race at.

From what I've seen posted on this site, without extensive suspension work, running a 4x4 in 2wd with slicks results in 2.0 to 1.8 second 60' times. Most 4x4's with street tires and 500+ HP run 1.9 to 1.6 second 60' times.

2 tenths advantage in the first 60 feet usually nets close to 4 tenths overall in 1/4 mile elapsed time.

Another advantage to 4x4 is it's much easier to hold the truck and launch under boost. In 2wd, it's common to have brake problems when building and holding boost at the line.

One final advantage of 4x4 is stability during a run. When you hit a slick spot on the track in 2wd, it's easy to get into the wall and crash. In 4x4, you might drive right over the slick spot and not even know it was there. The only place it looks like 4x4's have less control is during the first 10-15' of the race with super high horsepower trucks that are spinning 3 or 4 tires at the launch. I'd personally rather lose control the first 20' of the race when speed is less than 40 mph than lose control at 100+ mph.

I recall AKRAM saying he picked up .4 by going back to his stock height tires from I believe 305s. That's a lot.

Depending on the aspect of that 305 that could be up to a 35 inch tall tire. The stock tires are approx 30 - 31 inches tall, depending on brand. This is why it is so important to check out the manufactuers web site to get the true specs of the tire you are looking at. It is a fine line for sure, you dont want too tall for your HP, but you also dont want to lose all your top end too

4x4 unless you have 20 inch wide funnycar slicks on the back. Then those will work ;)