Which is faster at the 500hp level???

joediesel

Hey just wondering what the fastest 500hp platform (Dodge, GM, Ford) is and why? I know some are easier than others to get to 500hp but i was reading somewere that the ford would actually be the fastest..... let me know what u think.

This is just an opinion, but I would say the Duramax. Though I hear at that level the Allison isn't as fast as a built 47Re? Not an auto fan, but I've heard that....Not sure about the Fords though. I do know stock vs. stock the Duramax is probably the fastest. Though it also can come down to suspension setups(if any)

I was thinking the duramax aswell, although the 7.3 is a big motor... should have more torque under the curve....

The DMAX should be, it is lighter. Are we talking 12V dodge, or CR dodge. Also at 500 HP I don't think the allison has trouble, isn't it about the 1000+ mark.

There are some pretty fast Duramax's with just EFI Live runing 12.9x and low 13's typically the LBZ motors with high 400hp. Not to shabby for just a programer, exhaust & intakes

What about the LB7? How easy is it to get those kind of numbers? assuming efi live, intake, exhaust.

i think the ford as long as it's a 7.3 will be quicker since... it revs qiucker than the cummins (v8 vs I6... that's obvious..) and it had more torque than the duramax (normally more than twice the torque as horsepower)

This is interesting, as it would be hard to put a finger on with different cab/bed configurations.
I can say that a 2nd gen(xcab 4x4) with 500 will whip the poo out of a 3rd gen xcab 4x4

let's remove the weight factor and see what happens lol... but now that i think about it... gearing would have A LOT to do with it... ok so how bout this... same weight, same rear end ratios... just different tranny ratios... in that case i think i'd go with the dmax because of all the gears it has and how it would always be in it's powerband... whereas in... let's say... a 7.3... it has 4 gears

I think this is an open ended question. Assuming all three makes weigh the same and run the same size rubber, we still have to wonder about suspension etc.....? I'll just say at 500 h.p. the Cummins will go fast longer.

joediesel said:
What about the LB7? How easy is it to get those kind of numbers? assuming efi live, intake, exhaust.

A tune, a built trans, and a lift is all that is need to get the oldschool LB7 to 500rwhp. A buddy of mine ran my sled pulling tune in his RC Dmax. He went 12.7 at IIRC 104. It was not shifting well. With some work I do not think 12.5 is out of the question. Maybe better. He has never dynoed with that tune. In my truck it dynoed low 500s a bunch of times on more than one dyno.

LB7s make wide power. The gated turbo makes more power above 3000rpm than the LBZ and LLY VVT turbos. I have heard that the LMM turbo breathes very well up top.

I know a cummins has to make more power than a duramax to run the same track times. Their low first gear in those allison's helps them jump out of the hole fast, same with sled pulling in Street/stock classes

JOHNBOY said:
A tune, a built trans, and a lift is all that is need to get the oldschool LB7 to 500rwhp. A buddy of mine ran my sled pulling tune in his RC Dmax. He went 12.7 at IIRC 104. It was not shifting well. With some work I do not think 12.5 is out of the question. Maybe better. He has never dynoed with that tune. In my truck it dynoed low 500s a bunch of times on more than one dyno.

LB7s make wide power. The gated turbo makes more power above 3000rpm than the LBZ and LLY VVT turbos. I have heard that the LMM turbo breathes very well up top.
How much HP did the lift add?LOL My 3" Skyjacker probably gave me 25HP, thats just by my seatofthepantsometer though....

I'd say with weight not being a factor, the Dodge would be much faster.
At any given HP, the torque number on a Cummins is a always bigger than The Chevy or Ford.

so it seems safe to assume that the Dmax would have the best 0-60 times / 1/4 mile times and possible topspeed? due to the allison trans. What kind of 0-60 times are the 500hp dmax running? topspeed?

well there are 6.0 PSDs running SCT, Exhaust, Intake, and a nitrous setup running high 12's. Look at Veryfast6.0 and WAOracing, they are both running nitrous setups and are in the 12's.

I believe that the V8 trucks are quicker because they ramp up in rpms quicker. I have raced several Dodges that claim 500hp and my little 6.0L will run them all day and come out on top. I'm only making about 444 to the tires according to the calculators so take it as you will.

The v8 trucks all have 5 or 6 speed trannys as far as auto's go. That's the deciding factor.. Race that 500hp dodge from a 60mph roll. Different story will be told. Put a 5 speed auto behind the cummins, I bet with different gearing it will rev just as quick. Naturally stock gears are going to enforce the torque advantage.

Ever wonder why the Honda S2000 has 4.11 rear end and a 3.13 first gear? zero torque! :)

The only way to compare in the real world here is "HP to weight" and 2wd trucks have to have drag slicks.

By doing 30,40,60mph rolls, the drive trian factor can be taken out.

xtremexj said:
I believe that the V8 trucks are quicker because they ramp up in rpms quicker. I have raced several Dodges that claim 500hp and my little 6.0L will run them all day and come out on top. I'm only making about 444 to the tires according to the calculators so take it as you will.

What do you weigh in at? I'm at 7200-ish when I ran a 13.9. But was constant at 100mph trap speed, even down to a slow tire spinning 2wd 14.9! I feel strong that if I can get more time to practice launching in my manual at a track I can get things down to 13.5-ish. For me, 2 much traction in 4wd and not enough clutch to slip is why my ETs are high..

On the street, my truck picks up and goes night and day different then it does with VHT under the tires. I should get one of them G-tech things and record my best street launch and take it to the track to see if they are the same, or can be work with practice to the same.

Hmm, April, got a few months to go. :)