Which is faster at the 500hp level???

The V-8's will free rev quicker. Now with a load on them, well at the end of the day, torque twists the driveshafts and the cummins has the most:rockwoot:

Really though, if they are all making an honest 500hp, they shouldnt be any more than a couple of tenths from each other. Im sure if my truck was making 500hp it would be a 12 second truck. It should be running mid 14's right now with 337hp, and 500hp is a good jump up from there.

Eric

JasonCzerak said:
What do you weigh in at? I'm at 7200-ish when I ran a 13.9. But was constant at 100mph trap speed, even down to a slow tire spinning 2wd 14.9! I feel strong that if I can get more time to practice launching in my manual at a track I can get things down to 13.5-ish. For me, 2 much traction in 4wd and not enough clutch to slip is why my ETs are high..

On the street, my truck picks up and goes night and day different then it does with VHT under the tires. I should get one of them G-tech things and record my best street launch and take it to the track to see if they are the same, or can be work with practice to the same.

Hmm, April, got a few months to go. :)

I'm at 7300lbs with 1/2 tank of fuel. I am also still working on launching techniques and should be able to get into the 13.50s with more practice. I am also going to lose my mud tires and go back to some A/Ts and that should help some also. Good times with the manual though.:ylsuper:

fastest truck with 500 hp?

I would say a Chebby because they are lighter than both of the other brands

Mine is at least 500 hp and My q/m time is like 17 seconds oh ya I have 37" tires with a stock clutch that wont hold to a 2 wheel burn out anymore.

JFlagg said:
How much HP did the lift add?LOL My 3" Skyjacker probably gave me 25HP, thats just by my seatofthepantsometer though....

Lift Pump:bang

JasonCzerak said:
The v8 trucks all have 5 or 6 speed trannys as far as auto's go. That's the deciding factor.. Race that 500hp dodge from a 60mph roll. Different story will be told. Put a 5 speed auto behind the cummins, I bet with different gearing it will rev just as quick. Naturally stock gears are going to enforce the torque advantage.

Ever wonder why the Honda S2000 has 4.11 rear end and a 3.13 first gear? zero torque! :)

The only way to compare in the real world here is "HP to weight" and 2wd trucks have to have drag slicks.

By doing 30,40,60mph rolls, the drive trian factor can be taken out.

My 02 GMC vs my buddies 03 CTD. Both where right at 500rwhp. Both with 3.73 and 33" tires. Both are Crew cab long beds. Both in fourth gear going 60mph side by side. We both stomp it. Not even close. V8 power baby!

What people do not realize about a 500rwhp LB7 is that it makes over 400rwhp from 2200rpm to 4200rpm. It does not fall on it face after 3000rpm.

See now this is what i was looking for perfect! Not to sidetrack too much but which duramax (LMM,LLY,LBZ, LB7) is best to build up for this powerlevel? I hear the LLY has over heating issues? does the 6spd allison produce faster 1/4mile times than the 5spd allison?

I like the LB7 because it is so much simpler. No EGR, Cat, or any other emmisions junk. There are emmissions LB7 though. It does not have a VVT turbo. The stock IHI is very responsive. It not hard to work on. LB7s have ahd some injectors issues. I never have but it happens. LLYs are the same as LB7s from the heads down. They have way easier injector access. Some are overheaters but not all. They have a different fuel rail system. I do not like it as much as the LB7 setup. The LLY is a VVT. You have very good boost control with it. But it is laggy IMHO. The LBZ has a better stock turbo than the LLY. It has no overheating issues that I know of. It uses a different ECM than the LB7/ pre 06 LLYs do. It was rpm limited but that has changed recently with newer better tuning. It has the six speed Allison which stronger than the 5 speed. I am not convinced the second OD helps at the track but it rocks on the highway. LMM?

I still think weight for weight, and horsepower for horsepower, there will be very little difference. I have raced a couple of D-Max's that had a box. Basically any box will get one to where mine is HP wise, and we were pretty even. That little I-6 pulls like a banshee down at 1400rpm though, and thats what i love. At the end of a pull she will get down to 1500rpm and dig.

Eric

JOHNBOY said:
from 2200rpm to 4200rpm. It does not fall on it face after 3000rpm.

Thats another factor. The Ford and GM trucks can raise the rev limit, whereas the CR Dodges are just now getting that taken care of in the last few months. Ive still only seen one show that they rev to 4000 (Smarty) but have seen nothing from the other 2 (PPE and BullyDog) You gotta have revs between shifts too...Watch next year with the CR Dodges when the 4k rev limit comes out, Id bet youll see even faster trucks and more power...JMO

Yea, mine will tach up to 35-3700 free, like when I slip the tranny, but it always shifts right around 3100 when I get it hooked up...

i think its kind of all brand loyalty and im not super biased towards dodge but a 12 valve st cab 4x4 is hard to beat at 500hp 3.55s 4k rpms tons of torque and pretty light just my opinion

LB7 d-max easy to get to 500hp. I think the D-max would be the fastest and easyst, cheapest to get ther.

JOHNBOY said:
My 02 GMC vs my buddies 03 CTD. Both where right at 500rwhp. Both with 3.73 and 33" tires. Both are Crew cab long beds. Both in fourth gear going 60mph side by side. We both stomp it. Not even close. V8 power baby!

What people do not realize about a 500rwhp LB7 is that it makes over 400rwhp from 2200rpm to 4200rpm. It does not fall on it face after 3000rpm.

Was the dodge an auto? IF so, you still have a gearing advantage not being in over drive + adding the extra RPM's. If the dodge had a manual, you can't get any more fare then that and further proves why RPM's are important :shake:

And I totally hear you on the RPM's, one less extra shift for the most part for you going to 4200. I've been saying it for years. CR's need more RPM! you'll still have that down low torque (unless you drop compression, huge turbo..), but you need that RPM band to make more effect use over time in each gear!

I've noticed a few funky things with the Smarty and having just 450 extra RPM's. I pull harder over 100mph then I should. I've run a 3 series beemer and put more distance from 100-120 then I did from 70-100 :rockwoot: . Figure that out?

http://www.czerak.com-a.googlepages.com/JasonCzerak_Ram2500_HotJuic_and_Smar.jpg

I my self am over 400hp to 3400-rpm atleast. There were 2 things wrong with that run I've talked about in other threads.... but it's a general idea.

Others.
As far as the comments about the i-6 free reving slower. Have you been in an 03 CR and an 04.5+ CR? Notice the difference when you step on the fuel? HUGE!!! IF you blip your 04.5 to say, 1200rpm. That same peddle travel will put an 03 to around 2500.

Like the difference between stock and wild TQ management with out all the smoke.

I feel my truck free revs rather well at 50mph when the road is slick :)

You guys are forgetting us 1st Genners:rockwoot: I weighed in at a pull with some of my junk in the ext-cab, 4x4, full tank of fuel, pretty much stock as far as weight, at 6200 pounds.

Ok, now add a built 47rh auto, some sticks, BHAF, tires and wheels (stupid 6" wheels:doh: )a 3200 rpm spring, a hx-35, and a 3.54 rear will net you about just under 6800 lbs and about 400hp/800tq.

Somebody over at DTR has about a 8sec 1/8. Pretty quick, no?

Back