which is louder p pump or vp

YUTANCUMMINS

stupid question but just wondering whats louder a vp(with a timing box) or a p pump (with about 25 to 30)

My p-pumped 24V has alot more "rattle" now after the swap than it ever did with the VP pump... but I just rebuilt the motor too, so I'm not 100% positive its just the pump. But it does sound like its coming from the pump side of the motor...

24 valve's rattle like nothing i've ever heard before, i think P-pumps have a lot of timing rattle up around 30* but nothing like a vp

my p-pump at 30* idles like a whisper compared to a stock 24v...i did a vp swap for a buddy a few weeks ago and when we pulled it out i forgot how loud they were. i started mine up and even he said its def very quiet compared to his.

For what it's worth when my fiance and I came out of the gym the other day a guy with a 24 valve truck pulled in the parking lot. I asked her if my truck was that loud because the truck just seemed really loud to me and she said his truck was definitely louder then mine (min is just a 12 v though no p-pumped 24v here). I think that injection setup of the vp has something to do with it for sure!

damm guys i always thought p pumps were loud as hell.....never heard any really before thats why i asked

P-pumps are quiet compared to the VP. The VP truly is the bastard child of the cummins world. Louder than all the engines (IMO at least), HP limited, tuning limited, crappy reliability. I don't know why dodge ever thought this would be a good idea.

so the vp wins at idle but what about driving with all that fuel and timing the p pump has to win there

I asked that question a long time ago when I heard my Uncles 99 fire up next to my already running 98. His truck was considerably louder then mine. It was unanimous that the VP's were louder..

Now when you start talking about P-pumps on 24 valves or higher timing, I have no idea if it changes it. Mine was stock at the time.

Edit: Driving was louder on his as well, but like I said, they were both stock at the time.

My p-pump runs better than the VP but my truck is a jackass so who knows.

if the pump is setup right i have heard a p-pump that is quite as all get out just a little louder than a CR

I am due for a valve re-lash... maybe thats why mine seems so loud

P-pumps are quiet compared to the VP. The VP truly is the bastard child of the cummins world. Louder than all the engines (IMO at least), HP limited, tuning limited, crappy reliability. I don't know why dodge ever thought this would be a good idea.
Only in your circumstances. I'd say the p-pump is more limited for a daily driven truck.
My p-pump runs better than the VP but my truck is a jackass so who knows.

Yes.

my vp truck is quiet with my big sticks in there but with the stock sticks its loud. has to do with the pressure the pump produces, with a lower pop pressure injector they are real quiet even compaired to a 12v