Which mods to do next

mburgin85

Diesel Enthusiast
I have a 2009 2500. The mods i have done till now are all the deletes,xrt pro, head studs, s&b cold air intake, Air dog DF-165, boost pyro fuel pressure gauges, and a south bend DD clutch. I pull a 42' 17000 lb 5th wheel trailor pretty regular. I was thinking the next mods should be an injection pump, injectors, and a turbo but do not know what the best combination as far as sizes i should use. Should i do a duel injection pump or just a modified? I dont want to go too extreme because i use my truck alot and need it dependable but want more power for pulling my trailor. It does fine now but like everybody I want more. Any input from all of you would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Get a turbo before alot of fueling mods, or shortly after. 6.7s run hot enough. T4 center delivery manifold into an S466 sounds about right.

If you tow a trailer, and want to keep your exhaust brake, go with a +1 twin set, that uses the stock turbo plus an s400.

Do you know if they offer a Jake brake like the big rigs for our 6.7 so I can go with a bigger single and get rid of stock all together

Do you know if they offer a Jake brake like the big rigs for our 6.7 so I can go with a bigger single and get rid of stock all together

No, the ISB cannot be setup with a compression brake.
Also what kind of HP are you shooting for?

Around 600 but I pull slot and want to keep egt in check but would like to have a nice dependable platform to build off of.

I would go with a twin set but a buddy of mine had that setup and it beat the fins up on the stocker and when he went to a big single made more power . What I understand is the stock turbo is too small on the 6.7 causing excessive heat so in a pulling application it needs to come off. My trailer is 17000 pounds so I'm afraid my egt will be out of control.

IMO, the twin setup using the stock turbo isn't the best option. I would get rid of that first. Since you pull a lot and still want the play around power I would look into a s466 like said before and maybe some 90's and you can just run an arson 3 kit and still sustain good rail pressure and egt's as long as you don't have the H&S on kill. I have just seen to many people use the stock turbo in a twin setup and have had big problems. If the exhaust break is so important to keep, look into and upgraded vgt

IMO, the twin setup using the stock turbo isn't the best option. I would get rid of that first. Since you pull a lot and still want the play around power I would look into a s466 like said before and maybe some 90's and you can just run an arson 3 kit and still sustain good rail pressure and egt's as long as you don't have the H&S on kill. I have just seen to many people use the stock turbo in a twin setup and have had big problems. If the exhaust break is so important to keep, look into and upgraded vgt

thanks for the advice, can you still have the exhaust brake with say a cheetah vgt, will it work? how do you hook it all back up, is it just computer controlled.

thanks for the advice, can you still have the exhaust brake with say a cheetah vgt, will it work? how do you hook it all back up, is it just computer controlled.

yes you can have the exhaust brake with any vgt. but i would ditch the POS vgt turbo. all vgt's are drive pressure monsters.

yes you can have the exhaust brake with any vgt. but i would ditch the POS vgt turbo. all vgt's are drive pressure monsters.

Well what set up do you sugest then Dmaxx. I need some kind of help stopping that trailor.

look into a real exhaust brake. banks makes em as well as several other companies. that is actually a real exhaust brake. and running one of those will allow you to ditch the vgt for a better turbo, and you will have alot more stopping power

Ok thanks for the help. I still havn't decided but probably a dual CP3 with some 125 injectors with a 66mm turbo. what do ya'll think

do you think there will be a problem with egt's and what kind of boost you think.