which rods do I have?

jtinlbc

I heard that some 01 7.3l engines have forged rods from the factory

how can I find out if I have them in my engine?

I wnat to do a turbo :ft:

but how far should I push this thing

I want maximum reliability

so far afe progard7 intake
ansa 304ss dual exhaust 4" turbo back
ts 6 position chip
on 38 inch toyos :shake:

The only for sure way is to look in the "viewing port" of the engine to see which rods you have..

10/00 is a rule of thumb for cut off date. There have been some exceptions.

I dont think I have a tag on the driver side
how would it be mounted
are they the paper stickers
mine are not legible
but on the passenger side there is a orange iternational sticker that has some info and its orange it says horsepower 250 @ 2800

It is a sticker on the driver side, dam if it is not legible. What is the build date on the door post?

it say 06/01
I dont think its gonna have forged rods
oh well,
should I let that be the end of the mods or should I find a turbo
I need this thing to keep running
and its been reliable as heck

I doubt with just a turbo you'll be pushing 400 HP and have to worry about the PMR's with just a chip and the turbo..

now if you had sticks, a custom tuned chip, and a turbo you'd be having to detune some to make sure you stayed at or under the 400 hp mark according to all the info I've seen out there...

would a custom tune make much more power than my ts chip
with factory set tunes

it'll make more than you'd need with sticks and a turbo...

I think the basic tunes are okay -- but a custom tune will usually net you more -- how much I can't say from experience, someone else would have to answer that for ya -- but I'd hazard to say about 30 HP... plus they'd have the ability to "detune" the truck to a safe level just below the point of no return :)

hey hutch what is the date on your driver side door post?

if I look inside the inspection hole in the engine do I have to drain the crankcase or can I do it filled?

HutchPSD said:
On my 01 the date on my motor is 10-21-00. Which would i have?

You better pull the plug and take a look. Could still go either way.

jtinlbc said:
hey hutch what is the date on your driver side door post?

if I look inside the inspection hole in the engine do I have to drain the crankcase or can I do it filled?

Build date on door post is 10-00

but do I have to drain the engine oil or can I inspect while its still full

I know several who have snapped good forged rods, in fact I know of an early 99 just over a week ago , that #1 exited stage right through the block and what was still on the crank almost cut the oil pan in half. BUT, I have another friend with a late '02, PMRs fo sure. With Stg II's, a Ball Bearing and a dual disc who beats on it all the time and probably had 20 hooks on it last summer still doing just fine for now. Think hes on thin ice? :hehe: