Which rods?

Thanks. I wonder what 30 grams difference makes or takes away in HP?

If properly balanced very little.

The issue is the Carrillos are heavy and most likely require you to add heavy metal to the crank. Adding even more cost to using the already pricey Carrillos. My Crowers where lighter than stock by just a little. All said and done I ended up removing 12 grams from the crank.:cheer:

If I had it to again tomorrow I would look hard a Howard's X beam rods.

The rod issue with the Crowers back when we use to sell them was a quality control issue. The rod lengths would vary from set to set +/- .010" the rods within the set would be +/- .002" but that still was not where it needed to be. The weight of the rods were about 20 grams heavier than stock LB7 rods. When we designed our new rod with R&R the goal was to make a stronger part, control the size and weight of th rods. A stock LB7 rod is ~ 1158 grams, a LBZ rod is ~ 1190 grams they all vary some from these numbers so yours might be a little one way or the other. Our rods are ~1155 grams.

As for field failures with the Crowers it's been an issue with wrist pin bushings not holding up as they should.

http://www.ttspowersystems.com/GM_Diesel_engine.html

What's the difference between adding a few grams to the rods and hang'n a heavy TQ converter off the crank?

i have a new set that looks good they are made out of billet little less stronger than crowler which i dont see this being a problem ie bending rods and they have a good price on them to

The rod issue with the Crowers back when we use to sell them was a quality control issue. The rod lengths would vary from set to set +/- .010" the rods within the set would be +/- .002" but that still was not where it needed to be. The weight of the rods were about 20 grams heavier than stock LB7 rods. When we designed our new rod with R&R the goal was to make a stronger part, control the size and weight of th rods. A stock LB7 rod is ~ 1158 grams, a LBZ rod is ~ 1190 grams they all vary some from these numbers so yours might be a little one way or the other. Our rods are ~1155 grams.

As for field failures with the Crowers it's been an issue with wrist pin bushings not holding up as they should.

http://www.ttspowersystems.com/GM_Diesel_engine.html

where did you see the failures at ? this is the first time i have heard this. when was it and who motors did it happen to?

All you need to do is look around and you can find the issue with the length posted all over the Internet and as for Rod bushing issue there have been several as well. The motors I've seen with the pin bushing issues were Nick, Curtis (2) our own dyno motor and a few others. I also forgot about the mis made ones with the pin end of the rod made wrong but Carrillo had that issue as well. Looks like one copied the others as they are both wrong just the same way.

All you need to do is look around and you can find the issue with the length posted all over the Internet and as for Rod bushing issue there have been several as well. The motors I've seen with the pin bushing issues were Nick, Curtis (2) our own dyno motor and a few others. I also forgot about the mis made ones with the pin end of the rod made wrong but Carrillo had that issue as well. Looks like one copied the others as they are both wrong just the same way.

so i guess both haveing issues. so how many more company makes rods that dont have the failures?

I have only seen the Howards rods at the PRI show on display but I've heard they are just starting to come to market so time will tell on those. Carillo has been fixing the mis made rods when you return them so I'm pretty sure they have figured out the problem in production. Our rods are working just fine without any issues and are in the most powerful Duramaxs running. Crower has not fixed the length problem for over 3 years so who knows with them.

Here's a couple pics of the Diesel Performance Research (howards) rod and a stock one.

Attachments

• IMG_0173.jpg
    IMG_0173.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0174.jpg
    IMG_0174.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 31
I have only seen the Howards rods at the PRI show on display but I've heard they are just starting to come to market so time will tell on those. Carillo has been fixing the mis made rods when you return them so I'm pretty sure they have figured out the problem in production. Our rods are working just fine without any issues and are in the most powerful Duramaxs running. Crower has not fixed the length problem for over 3 years so who knows with them.

well the crowers i bought were just fine nothing wrong with them. been doing fine for about 6000 miles . and there alot of people that run them also.

if they had a probelm with the wrist pin bushing how did you correct it in your rids they look like the same design