Which Semi?

BlackCloudDodge

Call me Carmelo Hazard
Im fixing to buy a Semi but I would like to see what yall would say...Im going to get a 50ft flatbed trailer an was wondering which truck would be the best.Which truck with what engine? I know some might dog me telling me to search

379 with a 600 cummins and 18spd would be my choice. C15 is a great engine too.

Could I get a cabover with a good sized engine I always perfered the Pete Cabover but I do know they sometimes are death traps.

Dont worry about having lots of HP, it will just wear out the drive tires faster. You can get a cab over with a 60 Series Detroit fairly cheap, they really arent bad to work on either.

Dont worry about having lots of HP, it will just wear out the drive tires faster.

Only if you are a moron.

I prefer pre-ACERT Cat or N14 and older engines.

KW, Pete and Mack are tough to beat.

I found this 1984 KENWORTH K300, 400 Cummins, 9 speed, big sleeper, sliding 5th, Jake, AC, air ride cab, white and blue $9,500

or 1987. 359 PETERBILT. With 350 big cam cummins with 10 speed trans. Good 24.4 tires. $12000 or obo...I will try to haul of Kingsport Tn..Will be hauling from any state from VA to Ga to far west of Mississippi.

Mechanical Cummins are hard to beat for a guy just starting out. They're cheap and easy to work on and just about every old truck owner has parts for them laying around.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I drive a Pete but I would reccomend a kenworth t800. I know every body likes the long hoods of the 379 and w900 but you will like the way the t8 drive and turn. Plus you can still fix them up to look damn good just like the others. The kw also have more interior room for stretching out while driving. I drive a 02 378 daycab with a 430/470 Detroit and a ten speed and it does okay. It runs fast just slow as hell getting it there. It gets about 6.5 mpg which is better than any of the cat motors. I wouldn't get a 18 speed Trans. Way to much for anything other than heavy hauling. Thirteen is the way to go unless you want to be light weight then I would go with a c12 cat rated for 435 and a ten speed so you could haul a thousand bushels and still be legal. I have been driving for 16 years and I have drove a few. My first truck was a 84 Int can over with the stub shifter. That was fun to drive. Lol

Late 359 or early 379 with a 3406B. Cabover's ride like crap.

Some ride like crap, but not all, you can't put every truck in the same category.

To the OP, stay away from 359/379 and W900s, they are good trucks but it sounds like your looking to something to do a specific job, and they are over priced compared to their set back axle counterparts.

T800/T600s are good trucks, and get around well, a plus for a newer driver.

Pulling a flatbed trailer with anything I can put on it an mostly through the Mountains but also to the flat lands if needed.

cummins powered 9200 international, its what ive got and many others around me have.

3.55's,3.70's, and 3.90's are all good "all around" gearing for mountains or flatland running. More power or lower gross weights can run the taller gearsets ok. Less power or loads over 85K and you'll want the shorter gears...low pro or tall tire size makes some difference as well.

Ill put in a vote for T800/600s. I spend alot of time in an 8 and am rather partial to kw's. If your hauling for hire what it boils down to is what will make money, and if you want to quit trucking or the work slows down you can let it sit a little without worrying about the bank. If your hauling in the mountains a jake is an absolute must too.

came across this its a 1989 Kenworth K100E with a 350 Cummins, 13 speed overdrive, 3.55 rears, 11 24.5 rubber, spring suspension on truck air ride on cab, 6 inch straights, new air conditioner compressor and dryer $7500?