Which studs to use with fire ringed head?

Bjans

5 inches........around!!!
Im getting ready to put my head back on and i have a set of the regular arp's sitting on the shelf i was planning to use, but i always second guess myself on stuff so i want your opinions. Should i go with 625's or just stick with the regular arp's? How many retorques/heat cycles?
Thanks

2000's is what I will be running with my firering set-up.
Brandon

Im getting ready to put my head back on and i have a set of the regular arp's sitting on the shelf i was planning to use, but i always second guess myself on stuff so i want your opinions. Should i go with 625's or just stick with the regular arp's? How many retorques/heat cycles?
Thanks

Well alot of people dont agree with how I do it put it has worked do so far on 4 trucks.

I would use your 12 mm ARP's. I dont do many retorques if any, just one after 500 miles. I took my studs right down to a 160 ft/lbs. You have to be careful going that high not to jerk the wrench. I have had no issues with my truck yet.

Well alot of people dont agree with how I do it put it has worked do so far on 4 trucks.

I would use your 12 mm ARP's. I dont do many retorques if any, just one after 500 miles. I took my studs right down to a 160 ft/lbs. You have to be careful going that high not to jerk the wrench. I have had no issues with my truck yet.

Holy Chit :eek:, u better hope Greg dont read this thread :hehe:.
Brandon

ya, i thought the max was 125 on these!

Like I said, no issues yet. Tempature is a big part of it though. Not to cold not to warm. I have not had on flex hard yet.

ya, i thought the max was 125 on these!

I go to 145, but if u follow the instructions with the ARP 2000's they are 125 IIRC.

Disclaimer:
I am in no way shape or form telling u to use my torque values, according to the supplied instructions they are wrong :D.
Brandon

I go to 145, but if u follow the instructions with the ARP 2000's they are 125 IIRC.

Disclaimer:
I am in no way shape or form telling u to use my torque values, according to the supplied instructions they are wrong :D.
Brandon

x2 for me! :hehe:

straight to 145?

6 Steps to 145 with lots o' lube! I take my time and it might be overdoing it but I was told once u get into the higher torque values it creates heat which can cause failure.
Brandon

6 Steps to 145 with lots o' lube! I take my time and it might be overdoing it but I was told once u get into the higher torque values it creates heat which can cause failure.
Brandon

Whats the starting point for torque? do you back off the nuts or just keep upping it?

Whats the starting point for torque? do you back off the nuts or just keep upping it?

My 1st crank is to roughly to 24ft-lbs I divide the 145 by 6.

I run them to the listed value, I can not elaborate anymore as I do not know my plan of action with the new set-up will be.

With the old gasket and rings everytime I would retorque I would loosen them 1 by 1 re-lube and draw them back down to 145ft-lbs in 6 steps then I would recheck them all after I got them all cranked back down. I would not feel good untill I did atleast 3 re-torques with my o-rings, to some it might seem overkill but it worked flawlessly with me beating on it as hard as I could!
Brandon

i used reg. arps too and i did 6 steps to 165. didnt back nuts off either and i havent touched the studs since i set the head on. 75+ psi +200 shot. no problems yet 8,000 miles so far.

I've been looking in to this too, since I'm building my motor right now and so far what I've been told that arp 2000's are good to 800hp but if your planing to go past that 625's are the way to go , I just paid a but load for my 625's but there the safe way to go it seems, just my 2 cents .

Back