Which truck to buy.....

sredish

Where am I?
Looking at 3 '05 trucks.

1) Red 2500 cc 4x4, shortbed, auto, 4" lift and nice wheels with 84k miles. Looks pretty clean, not much towing according to older owner.- $23k

2) Black 3500 cc 4x4, shortbed, auto, bone stock, 120k or so miles. Haven't checked to see if overloads have been used much... still need to investigate this truck a little more but looks to be in nice condition overall. - $21k

3) White 3500 cc 4x4, longbed, 6spd, Airdog, small lift, H2 wheels and oversize tires, 150k miles. clean truck overall, all highway miles, hardly any towing. This truck is a friends who lives just outside of Dallas and commutes in, which is why he wants to sell it. - $18k

I'd really prefer a shortbed with an auto but in my price range (capped around $23), most have some miles and I'm really concerned about transmission issues in the auto. I like big tires, tall lifts and lots of power. This truck will not be cranked up though, probably just a smarty and thats it.

My buddies truck (3) has a few extra miles, but it's all highway miles, he lives north of dallas, commutes into Dallas, travels to Houston to see his parents and then goes to Austin to see her parents. He likes big trucks and used to have an rv but sold it not long after getting this truck, don't think he ever pulled it. He's very very mechanically smart and keeps the truck in tip top. I know it's a good truck and fits my budget but I prefer a shortbed auto.

My main uses will be work which includes hauling lumber, occasional gooseneck use (28' and 36' flatbeds) and my bumper pull RV, but I may trade it in on a 5th wheel as this truck is low enough to pull one (my last one was way too tall). The longbed stick will suit my purposes more but I got an auto in my last truck because I was sick of the stick. I blew that auto (5r100) at 60k miles.

See my dilemma? Is the auto at 80k to 100k miles something to be concerned about, especially after I put tires on it, power and then start towing some?

From my experience it doesnt matter what truck you get.. if its got a diesel with some extra power under the hood and an auto trans behind it.. its going to let go some time or another. Its the luck of the draw some people have no problems at all others do. i would suggest that you at least put a good converter and a good valvebody(or at least a shift kit) in there. Trucks can look clean and have highway miles all day long but if the fluid is black or it smells burnt.. move on to the next truck.

From my experience it doesnt matter what truck you get.. if its got a diesel with some extra power under the hood and an auto trans behind it.. its going to let go some time or another.

this has been my experience as well.... so, i'm trying to decide whether to go for it and try some preventative measures or avoid it all together. i'll be looking at them closer tues. morning.

I've got a Mega Cab with under 110k with a billet tranny I'll sell for not much over your budget

where you at? I don't really think i have any room to go over my budget. originally, i was shooting for 20 and soon realized it's hard to get a good used dodge diesel for 20.

I think the prices are a little high on the ones with higher miles I would keep looking around. check autotrader and craigslist

where you at? I don't really think i have any room to go over my budget. originally, i was shooting for 20 and soon realized it's hard to get a good used dodge diesel for 20.

Alvin, just south of Houston...

I hear ya... I was planning on staying in the low teens when I was shopping... and it seemed like every time I added $2-3k to that, the trucks got nicer and nicer almost exponentially :eek:

shoot me a PM with your number and let me know when would be a good time to call if you're interested

of the three above, I would lean towards the 3rd one... it's white, you know the owner, and the price seems more "in line"

forrest, that is a nice truck.... i gotta go to the bank on tues and get to moving on something. i suddenly became truckless on friday and that sucks, makes it hard to work. honestly, ill probably end up with my buddies, its the best scenario for what im doing its just not as aesthetically pleasing as id like it to be. however, im going to try and see how that truck #2 pans out.... the auto does scare me though.

i like the dmaxs but am not at all interested in working with an ifs front end. so....... that leaves ford and dodge. done the 6.0 and have had my hand slapped numerous times so no more ford diesels for awhile unless i found a low miles 7.3 which is hard. that leaves the 5.9. i actually think dodge is the ugliest truck available but that damned 5.9....

deal fell through (he wants to keep it now, can't blame him)..... i can not find a truck, absolutely can not find one....

forrest, i do like your truck but I can't get the value out of it from the bank... if you know a dealer who'll run it through and I can finance it with them, then maybe we could do something. a red mega is at the top of the wishlist but there just is nothing out there available.