Which Turbo ? (From these Choices)

KillerQuad

M. Tyler Moore
Which of these Turbos is a better choice for what i am wanting to do ...

II Phat Shaft 62/14
II Phat Shaft 64/14
II SUPER Phat Shaft 62
II Silver 62
II Silver 64

Just trying to choose the Turbo for me ... I dont want the BIG GUY (66) cause i want to be able to drive stop light to stop light with ease ... i want about the same lag as the Stock turbo but want the bigger power capability.

600'ish has been my goal and that is where it still is....

GO BIG OR GO HOME! I have the SB66 on my truck and 5 customers trucks. A little lag to 10 psi, then hang on. No surging. Tows like a monster. You will never out grow it. I have 2 guys wanting to upgrade their 62's and 64'2 after riding in SB trucks.$.02

I'm trapping right at 113 in the quarter with a 62/14 on diesel only, and the turbo lights and tows very well.. By the calculators and my weight, it says around 620 rwhp. Without dyno time, I dont' know for sure right now. A little larger would probably keep temps in control better than the 62, though it has been a great all around turbo..

sootman said:
GO BIG OR GO HOME! I have the SB66 on my truck and 5 customers trucks. A little lag to 10 psi, then hang on. No surging. Tows like a monster. You will never out grow it. I have 2 guys wanting to upgrade their 62's and 64'2 after riding in SB trucks.$.02

Maybe i need to come take a ride in your TRUCK .... LOL

Smokem said:
Not very open minded are you? The only differences in the listed turbochargers is the turbine wheel. The problem with them is the machining tolerances to fit the T3 housing. For 600hp go no smaller than a 64mm compressor, but you should lean toward the HDP turbine or a smaller trim to help with spool-up if you wish to tow.

I am open minded but the II stuff is where i can get a good deal on through a local dealer .... I am open to whatever, but i dont and wont pay retail ... im an arzz when it comes to that, if i dont get a discount then i wont buy it, cause i more than likely dont need it ... :doh:

i have been leaning toward the Silver 64 as some have seen me posting in a few Threads but i am still un-sure on what to go with... I HAVE to keep the EGTs in check and dont really plan on Running a BUTT Load of Fuel into it either ...

So if i have slightly worse than stock lag i will be fine, if the 66 can do that them maybe i will look into it ... but i still think the 64 is up my ally ....

Thanks for the responses...

Tyler

Tyler, I have the 62/14 and tow heavy...a lot. It does spool slightly slower than stock but like they say, once she lights, hold on. I kinda wish I would have got the super or something with a little more air because I can't clean up the exhaust at WOT with these 125 sticks. That may also be due to other factors, but I'm not a 'tuner' type. I want a K31 to twin up this 62/14 which is also an option if you ever outgrow it...just add another! :D

4x4dually said:
Tyler, I have the 62/14 and tow heavy...a lot. It does spool slightly slower than stock but like they say, once she lights, hold on. I kinda wish I would have got the super or something with a little more air because I can't clean up the exhaust at WOT with these 125 sticks. That may also be due to other factors, but I'm not a 'tuner' type. I want a K31 to twin up this 62/14 which is also an option if you ever outgrow it...just add another! :D

That is an option .... But i plan to to stay stock STICKs, and Stock Head ... That is what i am heading toward ....

Which i am pretty sure i can do with a 62 or 64 and the right amount of programing dumping the fuel just right ... I was even wanting to Stay with the Stock CP3 as you have seen in my other posts.... But i have been EYE BALLING the Glacier Pump set up to push the fuel out and that was about it ... Its all i can afford with all my $$ getting dumped into my Quads ... but i have got to be able to pull my trailer easier and thats why i am doing all this QUESTION Asking ...

Also, After my new program on my SMARTY mine doesnt clear out anymore either, there is a HAZE now ...

i think a silver 62 or 64 would be a good bet for you. i have the sps 66 and love it. but i have the fuel to spool it from stop light to stop light so it drive like a dream. although i have been contemplating the SB upgrade.

Silver 64.

Dude, you HAVE to run a Glacier or equivalent at the power level you want. Don't listen to II on turbo ratings. Theres no way my SPS62 would have seen anywhere near 600 on fuel. Yea, some places say 550 but on the phone, II makes it sound better. All i could get on fuel before draining the rail on my SPS62 was 527hp. Spraying water/meth I hit 579hp.

If you want 600, go for the Silver 64 from the list you supplied. I tend to agree with Sootman, go big or go home. I played around my SPS62 too long wasting time, money, and grief.

973604x4 said:
Silver 64.

Dude, you HAVE to run a Glacier or equivalent at the power level you want. Don't listen to II on turbo ratings. Theres no way my SPS62 would have seen anywhere near 600 on fuel. Yea, some places say 550 but on the phone, II makes it sound better. All i could get on fuel before draining the rail on my SPS62 was 527hp. Spraying water/meth I hit 579hp.

If you want 600, go for the Silver 64 from the list you supplied. I tend to agree with Sootman, go big or go home. I played around my SPS62 too long wasting time, money, and grief.

Soot and i have been talking ... Im thinking bout the "GO BIG OR GO HOME" deal ... :rockwoot:

I am just worried like i said about spooling stop light to stop light ... as i told soot i dont really want to black out each stop light i go to just to get the truck moving ... the only people i know around me that have anything over a 64 are PULLERs and theirs trucks dont count cause they have so much fuel going to them that it drips out the Exhuast (sarcasim) ... :hehe:

Maybe i need to EDIT my first post and through a SB66 in the mix .... :Cheer:

KillerQuad said:
Soot and i have been talking ... Im thinking bout the "GO BIG OR GO HOME" deal ... :rockwoot:

I am just worried like i said about spooling stop light to stop light ... as i told soot i dont really want to black out each stop light i go to just to get the truck moving ... the only people i know around me that have anything over a 64 are PULLERs and theirs trucks dont count cause they have so much fuel going to them that it drips out the Exhuast (sarcasim) ... :hehe:

Maybe i need to EDIT my first post and through a SB66 in the mix .... :Cheer:
Just got 3 of those BAD BOYS FROM II!!!:rockwoot: (SB66'S)Why run anything else?:hehe:

Smokem said:
11021904454343dc.jpg
AHH! the trusty bomb disposal guy. Do you have his cell number?:hehe:

Bob Wagner said:
you might want to make a call to forced induction too
I know about forced induction. when my turbo needs to be rebuilt may have them work their magic.

Anyone else got any suggestions .... 973604x4 and soot almost have me sold on the SB66 ....

Would the 66 be the best choice for my situation and not the 64/14 ....???

:pop:

It just comes down to choice.. Just for the record, the same 62-14 that pushed my 06 2500 to 12.21 last thursday on diesel only and 90hp DDP injectors was also in my 05 crew cab dually 4x4 with a camper shell.. It ran 13.0's at 103 in the quarter at just over 8,000 pounds.. The dually time was also with 90hp injectors, the factory cp3, and no lift pump. I do respect the go big or go home thought. I now have a single 74 sitting in the garage.. I'm just waiting on a T6 gasket.. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow. =)

we have made over 550+hp on a stock turbo fuel only. i think that you could get the sps62 and be very happy, if your towing that would be my choice.

if you want no towing characteristcs and just want quick spooling and good hp go with the SB62--we have made over 630hp with that set up. now if all out hp is what you want then the sb66 is the best way to go---i would have it no other way if that was my only goal.:rockwoot:

Don't the 66's series turbos have bearing wear issues? Premature wear, something about the weight of the bigger wheels.

Smokem said:
Im pretty sure there are better options for a high hp supporting single than II's Silver Bullet, FI also makes a Silver Bullet that is closer to what I am thinking ie: 72mm compressor with a 73.4/80mm or 74.3/83.4mm turbine with a T4 0.80AR.
What is the benefit of having a 72mm compressor on the FI turbo you mentioned as opposed to II's SilverBullet66? I'm still learning all this turbo stuff, so take it easy on me...:bow:
More air? It can't spool quicker? can it?

I've been happy with the HTB2 62/14. It tows well, doesn't surge, builds and maintains good boost, low EGT's, sounds good, affordable, etc. If I had to do it over again I'd have gone with a Turbonetics ball bearing turbo. I like them a lot more.