White smoke and popping when cold

I am going to try to work on it tomro. I have had injectors for 40000 or 50000 miles. Just swaped full cuts for 181s when I was fixing a leaking fb holder. I will check valve lash first then swap injectors. I thinking it mite be injector. I will let y'all know what I find thanks

I just saw the last post. I do not have to push down throttle for it to start. It starts right up. I have let it run for half an hour and as soon as I take off if starts smoking and poping. If I drive through it it runs fine

If you have to give it fuel for it to start then it most likely is a fuel leak somewhere. I had a line that had a small crack by the nut and it created a ton of porblems for me very similar to yours. I couldn't hardly see the leak and couldn't even see the crack at all but it was there.

Well nevermind this lol:nail: I posted that a little early

Last edited:
How are you checking timing? It sounds low. My old auto truck had low timing, if I started it, it would run like chit. If I power braked it, until it built boost, it would run fine....until the next morning.

It sounds like timing to me.

^^^ I would check timing and valve lash. Two things that cost nothing to do. Check your intercooler boots too and make sure all the clamps are tight. I had a loose leaky one and it made a popping noise too.

Ive seen this before an it was just the valve lash. It runs better after you drive it cause everything starts to heat up an it tightens the clearances between valve stem an rocker. Cumminstroked is right a air leak cause these symptoms too.

you possibly might have put the delivery valve upside down. it will cause it to do some what a similar senario.

mine does this. it didnt do it until after i advanced my timing. all the guys that helped me do it say its supposed to. (im new to diesel so not sure) once my oil pressure rises up it runs fine and strong.