Who builds 68RE parts

What exactly is it that makes the 68rfe harder to reliably build? Parts? Programming?

Lots of stamped/powdered metal parts if I understand correctly...need upgraded!

The Programming is just something new I would think...other Dodge tranny's are still hydraulic, this one is tuneable....that should only help reliability, IMHO

Chris

Is it an off the wall thought to think about the cab and chassis trans? the Aisin (sp?). It is a more commercial style trans....Can these be swapped into say an '09 Ram 2500?

Just curious.

Does anyone make a valvebody for these yet...or is it not needed cause of the trans tuning?

Does anyone make a valvebody for these yet...or is it not needed cause of the trans tuning?

Suncoast does build valve bodies.Ive got a new one that has some modifications over the current one that i have now.This new one should shift quit a bit harder and fit my driving habits a bit better than what i have now.

IMG_20110127_125219.jpg

So what does a valvebody from SC cost these days for our 68?
Also... the 550+ kits, did those include a torque converter and valvebody?

I know lots of people that didn't have good luck at all with dtt's in 3rd gens. All built by different builders. I was told by one ex dtt builder that bill and Stefan just kept the 47 mentality on the 48's and it didn't work. Like they refused to adapt or something. Idk. Just from what I've been around I'd stay away from a dtt 68rfe.

I disagree with you. Reason why you my ask? I have a 47RE with a 48RE VB. Awesome setup!

DTT does make a TC and new clutches. However, one of the main problems is the internal components. Chris is right, the stamped steel parts just plan dont help. Upgrade one and if you dont do the rest it wont hold. By the time those parts are replaced with billet, the customer is looking at a very pricy trans. A good TC and clutches will be good for 500-575hp. 600 would be pushing it IMO. My .02

Last edited:
ya good read my brother is an engineer at the south plant. He has a hard time understanding why people turn up diesels so much but he thinks its cool. I try to get answers out of him about the 68 but its made at the other plant but they only test them to handle stock horsepower. I wish they were a little stouter but thats what they gave us so now its up to the aftermarket. I mean look at the 48re it came a long way from the 47RH to the 47RE and even the old 727.

Im currently looking at building my 68rfe with suncoast parts. Its looking like its gonna be 5000 to get to the 550hp+ range for parts alone. That's triple disc converter, mega pack rebuild kit w/ valve body, billet flexplate. Its got me thinking G56 or NV5600 manual conversion possibly...
Sent from my DROID2