Who has the best performance brakes?

Street sleeper

Part-Time Puller!!
I'm looking for some good brakes for my 96 12v. I just warped my 3rd set of cross drilled and slotted rotors from Carquest. I'm using there cerimic gold series pads which wear awesome, but maybe that is the problem? I have an auto and pull a trailer often, so good brakes are needed! Rear drum brakes don't work like they should. Any suggestions on other brands of brake pads and rotors? EBC? Baer? Thanks

i couldnt believe the difference when i put my EBC greenstuff pads on the front of my 01. hardly any fade if any and the stopping power compared to stock replacements was incredible. worth the extra money for sure.

look into EGR brakes. com they have a full rear disc set up and upgraded front pads and HP fluid they use. Did a set on a buddies truck and it was a night and day difference.

Powerslot front rotors with hawk pads made my truck stop on a dime. Rotors got probably 100k on them and aren't warped or worn down. Been using wagner thermo-quiet lifetime pads from o'reilly's for the last few years and they stop almost as good as the hawk pads and are easier (read free) to replace. I use the thermo-quiet lifetime pads on all my rotors and have good luck with them.

Whatever you do don't run the cheapest/softest pad the store offers. Those crappy soft pads that aren't supposed to eat up your rotors destroyed mine and I had to replace all 4 rotors. The lifetime pads haven't hurt a rotor in the last 150k miles or so.

going to install a set of ART cryotreated/slottled rotors, and carbon metallic pads up front this weekend. you can get good performance out of drum brakes without spending a ton of money, if your truck is a SRW, upgrade the wheel cylinders to the ones that are found on the dually, they are slightly bigger, give a little more bite, and if your truck is a DRW, try the wheel cylinders off of the late 80's chevy dually, they are the same bolt up pattern, and they are even bigger than the stock dodge dually wheel cylinders. while you are doing all of this be sure to flush your bake fluid, if that hasn't been done yet. you'd be suprised how much of a difference that makes. all of this will make your brake system reliable, and almost ad good as the 3rd. gen. brakes!

Wes

kinda off the subject but i put new rotors on the back of my truck along with new pads and calibers and they still warped on me. before i really even towed a trailer its always just a touch of wrap

going to install a set of ART cryotreated/slottled rotors, and carbon metallic pads up front this weekend. you can get good performance out of drum brakes without spending a ton of money, if your truck is a SRW, upgrade the wheel cylinders to the ones that are found on the dually, they are slightly bigger, give a little more bite, and if your truck is a DRW, try the wheel cylinders off of the late 80's chevy dually, they are the same bolt up pattern, and they are even bigger than the stock dodge dually wheel cylinders. while you are doing all of this be sure to flush your bake fluid, if that hasn't been done yet. you'd be suprised how much of a difference that makes. all of this will make your brake system reliable, and almost ad good as the 3rd. gen. brakes!

Wes

So is the chevy one physically bigger or does it have a longer stroke? I have a srw dana 70. If I want the most stopping power should go with the chevy wheel cylinder?

I´m very happy with EBC rotors and Yellow stuff pads in all corners! It wears very even and I´m suprised they are not even near to wear out as it is for now.
It´s very quiet and have never made a squeek, as the opposite to the stock stuff, which I thougt was terrible! The best part is that over here it´s even cheaper than stock Mopar setup!

And it really makes the truck stop...!

I have a srw disk D70 out of an 01 if your interested. Needs a ring and pinion and spiders.

So is the chevy one physically bigger or does it have a longer stroke? I have a srw dana 70. If I want the most stopping power should go with the chevy wheel cylinder?

Larger diameter which means more force for the same braking pressure

Newer axle up front (2000+) SSBC's 3rd gen rotor upgrade with ART rotors and EGR calipers (since no one offers a larger aftermarket piece).. Disc brake conversion on the back..

At least those are my hopes and dreams. Powerslots and hawk pads sure as hell didn't impress me.. But maybe I should compare them to a semi. Then maybe they will feel impressive.

Cryotreated Powerslot With Ebc Yellow In Back And Green In Front. Stops Amazing Well. But Its A 3rd Gen

I just did a lot of brake research here recently because I needed to do some brake work on my 99. The truck already had some slotted rotors on it from the previous owner...I think they are Bayer(sp?) not sure but he got them from Advance who stopped carrying them according to my buddy there.

Anyways I got all my parts from O'Reilly's Auto Parts. I purchased two replacement calipers, a set of there Performance Friction Pads, and for the rear I upgraded to 3500 wheel cylinders for the rear because my shoe's were still in great shape.

My truck stops SO MUCH BETTER NOW! It seems like as the pads warm up more they bite better. Quite a bit cheaper than the EBC stuff I considered but I'm still more than pleased with my results. ;) :rockwoot: