Who is the favorite tuners for a 7.3

I run DP-Tuner. Ilike them alot.

If I were to change, and who knows I may get bored, Jonathan at Beans would be the only other guy allowed to touch my rig.

Since going to hybrids around 35,000 miles ago I've had tunes from the following;

DP
Cale
Gearhead
Swamps
Beans

I think Matt @ Gearhead has the best engine tuning, and would say Cale and Jody work the transmission the best. Just got some new updated stuff from Matt for the transmission that has impressed so far, we shall see how it does.

Anyone seriously suggesting an Edge box over custom tunes, needs to post less, and read more. Just sayin...

Since going to hybrids around 35,000 miles ago I've had tunes from the following;

DP
Cale
Gearhead
Swamps
Beans

I think Matt @ Gearhead has the best engine tuning, and would say Cale and Jody work the transmission the best. Just got some new updated stuff from Matt for the transmission that has impressed so far, we shall see how it does.

Anyone seriously suggesting an Edge box over custom tunes, needs to post less, and read more. Just sayin...

Just brutal. Info like this is harmful. If you have no idea what the hell your talking about take the suggestion that follows.

Decent thread guys, good to see folks give actual input vs "xxx" is the best without any reasoning.

I've been looking to get a chip soon for a 2003 7.3L and it helps to hear some folks address transmission stuff better, others use less timing to make the same numbers, etc. Those things do matter and show what's really going on with the tune vs butt-o-meter readings.

I guess my only confusion is that I don't know which names belong to what company.

I like PHP prices, $295 is pretty good. TS isn't much more mid 300's and they've been around the block for a while right? But are they're "canned" tunes old compared to new stuff? Beans is pricey, but seem to be near the top in tune quality. DP seems to have the most tunes available and you add as many as you like. Also seems folks see them as being some of the best.

Out of curiousity what does every choose for the average 6 tunes? Stock, high idle, tow tune, daily drive, HP tune, smoke tune?

-Dustin-

I started out with an Edge Evolution that a friend let me borrow. I put on a shift kit, but the shifts were hard. Jeret (on here as theSLEEPER) hooked me up with Diesel Innovation tunes for less than I thought I would have to pay for custom tunes. The shifts are now quick and firm without being harsh. I haven't run anybody else's tunes to compare DI to, but they are a far sight better than a canned Edge.

The idle sounds stock in all tunes. The tunes also behave more stock-like at light throttle which retains drivability when negotiating rough terrain (ie not sounding like the d-bag romping on the engine), but when you put the hammer down (past about 1/2 throttle I'd guess), all the power is there. In the hot tune I can get a lame 2-wheel peel in my dually. The DI tunes also do not smoke as much as the Evo did.

As for tunes, I have high idle, stock, tow, dd, hp, even more hp. I personally don't understand the desire for a "smoke" tune. If you're trying to smoke to look cool in front of your buddies, I think you'd be better off buying a pack of cigarettes. I'm just saying is all...

Sent from a smart phone by a dumb guy.

I was always a DP Tuner fan. I will tell you that not every truck is the same. What works for one may not work for another. Any one of the tuners mentioned are very capable of making a truck run good. If there is one in your area that may be the best choice. Pick one and trust them. If you have a problem talk to them. They want you to be happy.

I agree with that statement. I just wanted to illustrate my experience with custom tunes vs an edge to dispell the notion that an edge would be a preferable choice if you are not a competitor or gearhead. The edge was good for me as a free trial to get me addicted, but having used both, I wouldn't recommend an edge, especially when custom tunes can be had for such reasonable prices.

Sent from a smart phone by a dumb guy.

My statement wasn't directed at you. I did have a call this morning about head gaskets on a 7.3 PSD. Remember guys, you play you pay. No need to post the tuners name. It can happen with any of them if you push too hard. 40lbs of boost isn't a good idea.

Knowing of course that 40 pounds of boost has nothing to do with the cylinder pressures that lift heads.

it is the excesive injection timing that pops heads a lot...well that and a not properly tourques headbolts on a new headgasket job...that too,.

Knowing of course that 40 pounds of boost has nothing to do with the cylinder pressures that lift heads.

If you want to take the time to explain how it works to every newbie go right ahead. It's easier to give them a number to stay away from . If it's directed at me not knowing... yeh ok.

Re-read the first three words of my post Kevin...

I didn't think this was a newb site.

Who else would ask about a tuner for a 7.3? You think even half the guys in this thread have a clue what your talking about?

My brother has a SCT in his 01 with nothing else that ran 15.0x consistently. No boosting off the line though as he didn't want to "ruin the trans". LOL

He bought it at a dealer and it had an SCT emblem on it. He bought the SCT programmer and had them put on a 40hp, 60hp, 75hp tunes. Since he bought it unknowing what was loaded, he thought the 75hp tune would be the one. Nope, ran .5 sec slower...

Pick a custom tuner and go with it. If you only try one you will be very happy with them, its when you compare different tunes when you start to realize what works best for you and your trucks likings.

I have had experience with tunes from PHP, Wildman, Gearhead, and Swamps. I will say that personally I liked PHPs the best, but all 4 were great and had their strong points. Next time I get tunes Im thinking it will be from Beans.

Trying to help my dad choose the best tuner for his 00 7.3 dually 4wd wih 4:10 gears. Wants some better economy and a better tuner than his Superchip. What is the more favorite for his set up? Thanks

Cale @ tyrant or Jody @ DP tuner

Back