Who knows the engine operating limits?

helipain

When are these engines letting loose?

So after reading a crapload of threads about everything from whos running/stacking what tuners/mods to who is melting pistons, i noticed that there is a lot of debate about limits such as rail pressure, EGT, boost, etc. is everyone running their trucks as hard as they can without knowing exactly at which point things get dangerous? i am speaking on the lines of the everyday daily driver guys with normal mods (tuners, exhaust, intake, etc.).

seems to me that anyone can go buy an off the shelf tuner and plug and play. but what are these tunes really doing? are we relying on some software guy who writes these programs or is it a company that knows the limits of the trucks and can tune accordingly while getting the maximum safe HP out?

sure these trucks have lots of untapped power and you can put gauges on them all day long, but has anyone officially figured out safe limits?

i fly on helicopters where the engines are put to the max quite often. we have many many limits which you can tickle all day long but if you exceed one then you either fly home to get your pee pee smacked or you break it and crash.

just a thought since so much damage seems to be happening to the newer model trucks.

thanks in advance

These engines for the most part will take alot of abuse. I was well north of 1200 hp on the stock bottom end before it finally let go.