Who to use?

rgaskell

I'm really wanting EFI Live for my truck and have been reading up on it a ton. But where I live there isn't any tuners. I know I'll have to data log and I'm willing to do it as much as I have to, to get my truck where I want it. But is there people out there that will do it by e-mails until I figure out the software?

I'm really wanting EFI Live for my truck and have been reading up on it a ton. But where I live there isn't any tuners. I know I'll have to data log and I'm willing to do it as much as I have to, to get my truck where I want it. But is there people out there that will do it by e-mails until I figure out the software?

Also wanting to know this. I'm located in south central Kansas

I live in Alberta Canada.

Dave I tried responding to your PM but I guess I need more post counts before I can do such here.

Because its true. I don't know who you use but your saying you'd rather have a generic tune instead of having that tuner actually tune your truck on a dyno. No two trucks are the same. They all react differently. I'd rather have a tuner sitting in my truck tuning rather than have him make one and never sat in the truck. Know what I'm saying? I'm not saying the guys who do the mail order tunes suck, I'm saying I bet they could tune better if they had the actual truck at there shop.

Not true at all...I can remote tune a truck to 90% it's potential.

Only does the dyno squeeze the last 10% out...I can dd tune a truck just fine with customer provided logs and feedback.

If your having issues with remote tuning...then I'd suggest a different tuner.

Because its true. I don't know who you use but your saying you'd rather have a generic tune instead of having that tuner actually tune your truck on a dyno. No two trucks are the same. They all react differently. I'd rather have a tuner sitting in my truck tuning rather than have him make one and never sat in the truck. Know what I'm saying? I'm not saying the guys who do the mail order tunes suck, I'm saying I bet they could tune better if they had the actual truck at there shop.

Thats not true. With the data logging you would be surprised what you can tell about the truck.

So how many data points does EFI Log...

Rail pressure commanded and actual, pulse width, timing, iat, boost, baro pressure, rpm, % load, mph, just trying to think of some of the them off the top of my head. There are alot

Thats not true. With the data logging you would be surprised what you can tell about the truck.
I'm not saying a dyno is needed. I meant it helps . I totally agree with data logging helping. How many people buying mail order tunes are data logging?

All I'm saying is I'd rather a tuner have my truck for a day or two over sending me a tune.

I have as a pre-requisite for my tunes that the end user be willing to datalog or else know that it's not as good as it can be.

Most if not all of them so far, are more than willing to do what it takes to get me the info I need to make it right!!

Can't you send your computer out to have it tuned?

Last edited:
I'm not saying a dyno is needed. I meant it helps . I totally agree with data logging helping. How many people buying mail order tunes are data logging?

All I'm saying is I'd rather a tuner have my truck for a day or two over sending me a tune.

I think the words 'mail order tune' usually mean plug and play. This isn't the concept many professional tuners adhere to, especially in this day and age, although I'm sure it's the concept that was used back in the 90's extensively....and it's still a matter of you get what you pay for.

Rather than purchasing a mail order tune, many professional tuners sell a service. The service requires the customer to email their stock tune, the tuner to modify it and the customer to install that modified tune. In many cases, you'll get a 90% fit on the first pass, especially with minimal mods, but that last 10% will need fine tuning with data logging and tune revisions.

In any case, even with a 'traditional mail order tune' surely if it's written specifically for your truck wouldn't it be better than a generic off the shelf tuner that everyone has used for years that needs to cover all mods, all altitudes, all diving purposes and conditions?

Cheers
Cindy

I think the words 'mail order tune' usually mean plug and play. This isn't the concept many professional tuners adhere to, especially in this day and age, although I'm sure it's the concept that was used back in the 90's extensively....and it's still a matter of you get what you pay for.

Rather than purchasing a mail order tune, many professional tuners sell a service. The service requires the customer to email their stock tune, the tuner to modify it and the customer to install that modified tune. In many cases, you'll get a 90% fit on the first pass, especially with minimal mods, but that last 10% will need fine tuning with data logging and tune revisions.

In any case, even with a 'traditional mail order tune' surely if it's written specifically for your truck wouldn't it be better than a generic off the shelf tuner that everyone has used for years that needs to cover all mods, all altitudes, all diving purposes and conditions?

Cheers
Cindy

Precisely put Cindy!!!

a dyno would be nice as you wouldn't have to drive anywhere to log. Logging definitely helps but, if that's not possible..... detailed feedback to the tuner like, how the truck is running, where (rpms/throttle position) it's smoking, color of smoke all will let them work around the areas that need it. A killer tune can be built from that. What I'm told... like Les said, the dyno is really for the WOT part.

I didn't say a good tune couldn't be has or wasn't bad mouthing mail order tuners. Just saying what I'd prefer. I'd rather get 100% instead of this 90% people are talking about.

As a tuner, would you rather mail a tune and have to keep tweaking over however long that would take or just have the truck at your fingertips to fine tune?

Back