why do people pay so much for regrinds!?!?

Hamilton Cams

ignorant
We have customers that have paid over $650 for regrinds plus a $150 core charge. Why would anybody do this????? Our new cam are $599 with no core. What gives? Is there this many people that want regrinds?

If you want to get regrinds for $375 post up here and if there is enough interest I will come out with them.

Post up if you want regrinds.

Zach

I paid $599 (from one of your suppliers) for a big stick that ended up being a regrind. I said i wanted a cam and i guess i never thought it would be...didnt even think of it. Hell i didnt even know till someone else pulled my cam out and told me i had cummins part# on it, but checked the lobes.

There is no way to get them for $200 unless you drop them off at the shop and then pick them up and they will not be coated.

There is freight to, from and All of mine are done on a CNC not an old manual grinder. $200 grinds will be done by people guessing at what works to some degree.

Joel, please p.m. me about who sold you a re-grind. I do not condone people making money on re-grinds off of my good name and then taking and taking advantage of people. I will help you out on anything you need to make it right.

I paid $599 (from one of your suppliers) for a big stick that ended up being a regrind. I said i wanted a cam and i guess i never thought it would be...didnt even think of it. Hell i didnt even know till someone else pulled my cam out and told me i had cummins part# on it, but checked the lobes.

Same supplier that we have talked about?

The only reason I went with a regrind was because there was a month waiting list to get a billet from you...

just dont stop making good cams. What you are doing is great for the sport and the market!
I think that alot of people see that your cams are back ordered a few weeks or not ready this minute and people are impatient. Also they see that people offer different grinds that you might not have readily available and jump on it

Its growing by the day bud!

Zack, thanks for the offer.

Q about your nv5600 gears ur makin. Would this lower your overall rpm's in 6th gear? Tryin to get a 4:10 gear'd 2500 a little lower in the rpm band on the highway.

Thanks, sorry for the sidetrack

Sorry, the gear is just for the Nv4500 right now. If they are well received, I will make one for the nv5600 as well.

Im sorry but wht is the difference in a ''cam'' and a ''regrind'' besides one being old and one being new???

Regrinds grind through the harders part of the cam and expose softer material. They also create sharper nose angles because of the smaller base circle of the cam. If you start with a blank cam you will have a much larger base circle and will have harder lobe facing.

If a person does a small regrind and it is done by a reputable shop, you should not have too much problems. The problem is there are not a lot of good cams floating around. Most people end up using reground Common Rail Cams. They have around a 98.5LSA. To get a performance cam, you usually end up in the 107LSA area so you literally have to move one of the lobes over a good bit. This eats up a lot of base circle.

Zach

At your price point on new blanks I just do see the point going with a regrind. Does it just come down to advertising?

I believe other companies are marketing themselves ALOT which costs money, and they are making a lot on the cams. A lot of what you pay from name brand companies goes to advertising.

I started doing the math on a regrind vs a true Big Stick and it just DID NOT make sense. Especially when I snagged one during the July 4th sale for $535.

Lets compare the same cam specs for a regrind vs Hamilton. Regrinds cost $375 for 181/210 even though I've seen the regrinds with these specs sell for more than $600 else where [Can you say middle man?]. But you have to ship your core back, so lets say it costs a conservative $50 to box and ship. Oops, they want extra to drill and tap that stock cam for a bolt/retainer, that runs something like $40. Then the bolt and retainer itself costs $65 more. 375+50+45+65=$530. $535-$530=$5. $5.00 more for a brand new cam, ok not just brand new but a cam that was engineered to be stronger in all ways, perform better, last longer, etc. Even without the sale it's only $70 more for something that is better in every way. $599-$530=$69.

These aren't seat covers folks, it's the mechanical brain of the Cummins motor. Before Zach same along regrinds were even higher in price. Start looking at Haisley [$543 Street Grind], Helix [$488, three years ago it was like $800], Sheid [$543], PRD [$425] and you'll be wondering how they even sell cams. A little while back they cost even more!

Hold one in your hands vs a Hamilton and you'll see why it's worth every penny to run something designed to be better in every aspect. I've had a regrind, Helix 2, and Hamilton in front of me. For the difference in cost you'd be foolish not to run a much better product by going with HD camshaft. That's assuming of course there is a cost difference...

-Dustin-

Last edited: