Wierd question

BUICKpowerSIX

Why does my 2005 6.0 seem to pull harder low end when the engine is still cold. Im not talken bout starting it and going, but if it idles for 3 minutes or so. I have never gone wot Im not that dumb. The engine sounds the same as before it boosts up when its warm and blowing out chit loads of black smoke. Not sure if you understand what I am saying. I have an sct with dj's looney tune, 5" turbo back no kitty or muffler, stock intake.

I am just curious why my truck does this, maybe be able to squeez a little more power out of it.

No one? How about this, when its cold and it sounds like "rocks in your engine" is when it pulls harder. Has anyone else noticed it or is it just mine?

The simple answer is that there is more timing in the engine when it is cold. Not a big mystery.

Because cylinder temps and fuel temps are lower, the timing needs to be advanced in order to achieve the full combustion by the time the piston is on the down stroke. Otherwise it's just wasting fuel.

Take care.

Bill

BUICKpowerSIX said:
No one? How about this, when its cold and it sounds like "rocks in your engine" is when it pulls harder. Has anyone else noticed it or is it just mine?

This is a very good question. I've noticed the same thing. After about 5 minutes of driving it seems to be back to normal power. I've always just assumed it was the cool air making it run stronger. My reasoning was why else would people buy CAI cold air intakes. Obviously the cold air must help or people wouldn't be buying them.$.02

PowerHungry said:
The simple answer is that there is more timing in the engine when it is cold. Not a big mystery.

Because cylinder temps and fuel temps are lower, the timing needs to be advanced in order to achieve the full combustion by the time the piston is on the down stroke. Otherwise it's just wasting fuel.

Take care.

Bill

Interesting. Just timing. When the engine is warmed up is it too much timing then? Im new to turbo diesels but have had turbo cars for 4 years. Is there any way to tell when you are hurting the engine i.e. knock sensors? :thankyou2: