wildcat transmission built 68rfe?

b.scheid

greenhat
i found this guy a few months ago and was wondering if anyone has any expierences with him he says he can build me a 1000hp 68rfe for right around 4600 i asked for a build list and he said he uses alto red frictions, transgo shift kit, extra frictions in each set, custom pistons and backing plates, custom over under drums and billet shafts thats including the stage 5 tq converter, anyone talk to this guy or buy a trans from him? if it would hold 700 hp reliably and not grenade in a year it would be one hell of a deal i believe, or do i bite the bullet and beat the living piss out of it and do a review then let everyone else go get one?

Bite the bullet and let me know. Unfortunately I bet the guy doesn't know what he's talking about, but if it turns out that he does... I'm in.

hopefully someone thats not bias on trans brands chimes in and tells me what they think.... i dont wanna be stuck with a 5k chunk of metal laying in my front yard...

thats what im thinking thats why im seeing if anyone has exspirences with him ive got the money to go have it built just would hate to have it grenade right after....

Get an "unconditional" 1 or 2 year warranty IN WRITTING and go for it. Make it known that if ANYTHING happens to it at your hp levels that you are bringing it back and expect it to be fixed or replaced with no questions asked. Get it in writing. Then....proceeded and give us the full review.

$.02 $.02

sorry, a warranty in writing from a fly by night company doesn't mean squat to me...

also, the best warranty on earth is the one you don't have to use

If you can get references for this guy and know he can build a transmission, then get after it. But there is no way I would pick a 68 builder based on his OWN hype!

Very true. I was just thinking at least you'd have something that would hold up in court if worse came to worst.

exactly...

unfortunately, in this day/age, I've come to not even care about warranties, etc. on most things. It's more time/money/logistics/hassle to try to get something warrantied than to just buy another a lot of times :(

I had a situation like this arise but on a 48re, I needed a built one and happen to stop and some off the wall shop that was new in my town and the guy claimed to know everything about dodge diesel transmissions in general, so I questioned him a little so see if he could give me the right answers and he never missed one of my questions, he priced my transmission for 3600 bucks, consisted of transgo shift kit, high energy clutches, bands, new hardened planetary sets, custom 5 disc converter built by his guy, billet input, billet intermediate, I think I'm forgetting something, so I thought it was too good to be true, so I bit the bullet and let him do it. (on edit, also billet servo etc all the small stuff also)

After I got it done it was the best shifting and feeling 48re I've ever owned. truck was making 576hp per quarter mile time turned down on its bottom tune. I drove the crap out of it and it never missed a beat. Hot lapped it at the strip, never had a single issue out of it. Sold the truck to one of my buddies and the same trans is in there to this day still and still hasn't missed a lick.

I know it's totally different transmissions but thats just my story on too good to be true. Also I decided I wanted a billet flex plate after it was done, and he agreed we should have stuck one in it so I bought one and he pulled the trans free of charge and put it in for me.

He told me he could do them so cheap because he had owned a transmission shop in Atlanta and still got the same deals on parts and he sold them at his cost and charged $750 for labor.

Last edited:
he gave me one guys number that had his stage 3 installed (600hp) in november that hes been pulling his cattle around with it and he has a heavy foot and says it holds up so far im trying to get someone thats got the stage 5 and has had it for a year with a heavy foot to vouch for his trans if i can find someone that has one that drives like i do then ill bite the bullet and do a 6 month and 1 year review of it

I'd b interested to know how it holds up if do go ahead and do this. I know soon enough the way I drive my 68s days will b numbered. I like the idea of a built 68 but everyone I've talked to said if your gonna invest that kinda money to do a 48 swap and b done with it

yea it seems like its a lose lose situation with the 68s mines slipping from 4th to 5th and from 5th to 6th if im in my big tune shes not happy lol but doing more research on the parts he uses he gets the patc stage 3 master kit his stage 3 to stage 5 the only difference is billet shafts hes looking for a guy that had a stage 5 built from a year or older ago for me so i can hopefully contact him and get the info i need to see if im going to go through with it or if im going to go a different route(swap or revmax) but who knows if ill ever get that info

Yea that doesn't sound good with it slipping already. Hopefully he will come though with the info for ya. Keep me updated if he does. I'm pretty curious to see how it's holding up after a yr or longer...if it even is. Good luck with which ever route you go with

I haven't had any issues from mine but I'm not pushing it hard yet