Willys Tow Rig

Remade the heater core lines so they fit a little better.

Before.

027A1A07-3B8C-4F41-AE89-ED56540B97B6_zps01goqvsa.jpg

1196A264-DD6A-42B7-9567-69BD49FE8551_zpspioz1srb.jpg

After.

AAF772D1-6760-468A-8080-DF4E40390FAB_zpsqtfmzita.jpg

C5C7E8F7-C731-448F-A175-0A7F5E39080B_zpsne2jcnu1.jpg

I lile the copper. That looks cool. Love the whole build. Any more pics of the whole truck? How is the noise in the cab?

I did take a quick picture when I threw the hood on the other day. Not much for exterior progress. Still need to finish interior center console, wiring, paint and panels; then I will move on to finishing the exterior. It seems like it's taking FOREVER.

EC8E58AE-8DCD-475A-A43D-476FC80F276A_zpse43awrnv.jpg

The noise is bearable, definitely not comfortable though. The wife says the turbo whistle hurts her ears. I'm hoping between exhaust wrap, turbo blankets, a manifold blanket, and some mass loaded vinyl on the firewall; that it will be comfortable.

So I need to start thinking about finishing the interior and doing all the electrical.

I want a touch screen stereo/gps, I plan on putting this up in the main dash where the stock gauges used to be. I might even end up using a tablet with a custom inlay mount/charging station that it could be removed from. I would then use a separate amp with Bluetooth compatibility to run to the speakers. Just an idea anyways.

As of late I plan on mounting my Boost, EGT, and Trans Tenp gauges above the windshield, between the visors.

I then have 2 dual needle pressure gauges for pressure readings from each corner airbag. And 2 to 4 switches to air up/down. I haven't decided yet if I want to control each bag seperately or have one feed for front and one feed for back; those feeds would go to a solenoid valve that would let pressure in or dump pressure out, after that would be another solenoid valve that would act as a Tee. When the button is pushed for either up or down then it would allow the air to flow between the bags and level out the pressures.

Then I have to control headlights. Trying to decide between a push/pull switch or a toggle switch. The stock switch could be simplified as I don't care for the cluster dimming feature. Might as well be on with the headlights and off with the headlights.

HVAC control will need to be customized. 3 or 4 position rotary switch for the blower. On/off for the AC pump. And I MAY use a rotary knob with a cable to control a heatercore bypass valve so I can have a "warm" option with the bypass valve partially open instead of just opening and closing a valve between seasons under hood.

Overdrive. I need to look into the wiring diagram again. I THINK I can have this on a standard on/off toggle instead of a momentary switch. I would much rather it stay in the off/on positions even when I turn off the truck and back on again.

TCC lockup. Simple locked/computer control 2 position toggle.

Intercooler heat exchanger fan. Trying to decided if I should just throw this on a relay; on when the key is on. Or run a seperate switch to keyed power to control the relay.

Drivers and passengers butt warmers. Mount these on the center console somewhere or on the side of the seats? Probably just run simple on/off instead of the 3 heat settings.

I think the last on my list is in cab winch control. Simple 2 position toggle for in/out. Unless I forgot something else to control, that should be it...

I'm thinking something like this to give a cool look to the toggle switches.

EE246D93-0292-4124-9EC1-6DCB0AF64992_zpstg8pitem.png

Maybe make some of these between each switch.

EFA1B679-8A78-4CAE-B3B3-6D7304E3CD8C_zps3niqexo1.png

Instead of the ugly hose spiket knob. Maybe something like this for the blower control and possible bypass valve control.

78374DAD-8034-4F28-BB6A-2E978B334E7E_zpsi5g8kpaz.png

And to give you an idea of the space I have to work with. Need to figure out how to organize it so that is makes sense and is user friendly. Don't need it to look like a complicated cockpit.

I am using a heater core bypass valve off a ford ranger on my 56. Heater is just a small universal unit. Not much room under my dash. It hangs down below the dash a few inches on the pass side. 4 position rotary knob for speeds and a push pull cable to operate the valve. Didnt want to use the vac option on the valve so cable it is. Keep the pics coming, looks great

OD and TCC can both be on toggles, it just supplying ground to their respective solenoids

I don't have suggestions here...other than I really like the refined industrial look you're taking with this! I can't wait to see it complete

This is coming along really nice. I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thoughts on putting the intercooler heat exchanger fan on a switch vs on with key?

I'm actually thinking I'm not going to bother with in cab winch control. This isn't a wheelin rig so the winch would hardly ever get used. I might want to have a switch for back-up/cargo lights though...

Well i was thinking that there might be times I want to cool down the intercooler coolant when the truck was off. So either I would have to turn the key to accessory which would also turn on my stereo, not a huge deal; or have a seperate switch all together. But I guess if I put that on keyed power anyways then it would defeat the purpose. (Don't want to have to remember to flip the switch on and off at every startup.

RedRider...if you ever need 3D models of switches or guards or whatever.....holler, I have an extensive library of that crap. Terminal boards, jumpers, ring terminals, spades, yada yada yada.....currently designing this which shows the switch guards I was talking about.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks Dually! If I need some of those components I will definitely let you know. I usually end up going straight to grabcad.com if there is something generic that I don't want to take the time to model.

As far as the switch guards, I don't know. They almost seem too clean and somewhat "plain" for the look I am trying to achieve but without going overboard.

In talking with my wife I am still trying to figure out the best way to organize this console/switch panel. With the OCD she seems to have sometimes, she said that "the circle knobs should be on the same row as the circle gauges..." Now that just almost seems crazy to me. lol She also isn't quite sure about the switch guards. She says "they look bulky and are just something to catch your finger on." In all reality, the industrial era was kind of bulky. lol

I did think about moving them down at least one row and then cut "Willys" into the console with a backlight where the heater controls are now. She said "I don't know how I feel about cutting out Willys and putting it there I don't necessarily want to think about a penis every time I go to turn the heat up and down LOL". Geesh. No winning with her! haha. I thought about cutting out "Jeep Truck" but I believe that my glove box already says that on it.... Originally I thought the problem was going to be organizing the switches and having enough room. Now it seems like its trying to organize the empty space so that the panel doesn't look out of balance!!

Last edited: