Window Nets

cbtoyz

Vaginatarian
I'm gettinig ready to order a net. Just like everything else with this truck, I'm having a hard time finding something that will work right out of the box. So, I was wondering if anybody would mind sharing pictures of there setup? Here is what I'm working with.

IMAG0074.jpg

IMAG0079.jpg

I have some on my phone, let me get them on my computer and posted.

stroud saftey has them in custom sizes.

all you need to do is measure from the top bar down to the cross bar it will be attached to, but remember you will need the buckle clips to do it right.

This is what I used. I'd rather have the locking clip on the top so it would fold down when not in use. This is just a generic net from Jegs/summit. I can get the measurements if needed.

Last edited:
I'll see if I can shoot some photos of mine in my race car tonight or tomorrow. Earlier this year the NHRA changed the requirement to force us all to replace the nets on a 2-year interval, but after enough backlash they rescinded the rule for all but Advanced ET (quicker than 7.49). Since I hope to eventually run my truck quicker than 7.49 I am designing its mounts to use a standard size net so it is simpler and cheaper to replace every 2 years.

stroud saftey has them in custom sizes.

all you need to do is measure from the top bar down to the cross bar it will be attached to, but remember you will need the buckle clips to do it right.

Yeah, I saw that. I am planning on having a custom net built. I was really looking for mounting ideas.

I'll see if I can describe how my mounts work (and how I will do them in my new truck as well).

For the bottom of the net I have a length of 3/8" solid bar stock. One end has a washer welded on it about 1" from the end, and a hole drilled through it about 1/4" from the end. That end slides into a tab welded to the cage, then a washer goes on and a hairpin clip through the hole. The other end of that bar has the end of a seatbelt metal buckle welded to it, with the seatbelt still attached. I welded a tab to the cage below that point, with a slot through it that the seatbelt can be passed through, then looped back on itself the way a harness or a kid's car seat would secure. This allows me to adjust the tension in the net. The top of the net is a similar 3/8" bar with a washer welded to it about 2" from the end, and the end has been machined to a dull point to make insertion into a hole easier. On the cage there is a tab with a hole that I poke that end into. The front end of the top bar has a seat belt latch welded to it, with the mating part of the latch welded to the cage. The net normally drops down out of the way, and to raise it I poke the top bar's end into the top rear tab, and snap the seat belt buckle into place. LOL, a picture could have saved a lot of typing!

when it comes to the single cab design's i would agree that a custom net would be best, for your saftey.

Most of the ones size fits all are too narrow. built more for a reaward seating arangment.

Nice one on the seat belt clips!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

How fast do you need to be required to use a window net>?

In most cases 9.99 or quicker or 135 mph & faster, but if the vehicle does NOT have "unaltered firewall, floor, and body (from firewall rearward, wheeltubs permitted)" then the net AND full cage are required from 10.99 & quicker. I suspect many tech guys ignore that last part of the rule, as I have seen plenty of 10.00-10.99 cars with altered floorpans that did not have a net!

So, if I am reading that correctly, my truck with the stock floor in cab would not need a net to run in the 9's? What about the floor of the bed, as I do not have one of those?

You need a net for 9.99 and quicker. The bed floor does not matter.

Correct - you need a net for 9.99 or quicker with an unaltered cab floor & firewall, or 10.99 or quicker if you have an altered firewall or floor.

Gotcha,.,, guess I had better re read this thread more carefully and get setup for a net for next year..

One more thing to add - a properly installed window net is always a good idea, even if not required. When I first built my gasser race car, the NHRA tech guy asked me to beef up the net mounts even though they met the spec. A mutual friend of ours who raced the same class had just crashed his car and really mangled his arm when it came outside the cage and got tangled between the cage and the guardrail. His window net mounts failed when he hit. A few months later I had a very similar crash (and hit the guardrail even harder than the 1st guy) but my rebuilt net mounts held fine. That other guy's wreck was 25 years ago, and he never fully regained the use of his left hand.

Well, here is what I came up with. I'm using the pink towel for mock up.

IMAG0092.jpg

IMAG0100.jpg

IMAG0106.jpg

IMAG0105.jpg

Well, here is what I came up with. I'm using the pink towel for mock up.

IMAG0100.jpg

Looks good, my only comment is that you will have to retain the bottom front corner somehow to keep it from sliding upward on the mount and "bunching up".

Last edited:
Thanks. I will see what I can do when the net arrives. Thinking I can weld a washer on the lower rod to keep it from sliding up.

On another note, the folks at Stroud are nice people. Happy to do buisiness with them.

I would just run the pink towels bro....:D
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2