wiring guru needed.

NYCETRK

I've installed a new cummins engine and replaced my v10. After several hours of hair pulling I've got the truck running after replacing pcm with a 2001 the ecm and engine harness including the harness/fuse Box under hoodwiring are from a 2000. I do not have power to run the alternator unless I remove the trans relay and jump it as if I'm installing a converter lock up switch. I can communicate with both with a scan tool and have ecm codes for intake air heater but it is disconnected. The trans is showing codes for trans relay which would be expected. And charging circuit.
The question I have is I can make it charge but if the trans is getting 12 volts and 5 volt ref. What in the pcm other than the speed signal would make the trans shift?
Would the under dash wiring have anything to do with that communication?
I've been reading a bunch of other posts and looking at the diagrams posted but haven't really come to any conclusions.
I can make the alternator charge but just really need to get this trans to work.
I might be able to get ecm flashed to match the 01 pcm but think wiring could
be the problem.
Engine is just rebuilt as well as trans which worked behind the v10 after changing the input shaft and converter it should be fine.
THOUGHTS?

Last edited:
You cannot mix 98.5-00 & 01-02. All engine/trans harness, ECM & PCM must come from the same sub-generation. The 2000 wiring harness is different than the 2001 ECM.
Many on CF have tried to mix parts & failed.
You may want to look into valve body mods to bring the shift points to the right places. Talk to a trans guru on this.

Ed

Ok the truck is a 2001 the ECM and diesel engine harness is 2000.
TThe ecm and under hood harness is 2000.all wiring except under dash wiring is for a diesel.Under dash wiring is 2001.
The pcm is for a diesel 2001.
funny thing though the matching pcm for the ecm I have the truck would not run.it will with the new pcm. (it also starts with the v10 pcm). But I'm not using it. The trans stays in second gear with the v10 pcm but first gear with the diesel one.
It will not shift.

Last edited:
Get copies of "pin out diagrams" for the 2000 diesel and 2001 v10. Get both the underhood fuse block and any main bulkhead connector(s). Study them close. You will likely find a few circuits where the relays are in different spots, and/or the pins are not in the same place in the connector. They match and go together but are not the same...

You should be able to move things around in the connector to where they need to be way enough.

If you haven't figured it out in a month PM me. We should be done swapping a 2000 47RE 24v into a 2000 F350 for a customer by then, and I will be intimately familiar with the wiring by time it is running.

Owner @ Power Automotive. ASE Master, L1, T2. Pretty much a Cummins fan, but I fix them all 50+ hours a week.

Last edited:
Nothing from the v10 is left except the under dash harness.
I found an open wire on the speed sensor wire from the trans.
Thanks for the help.