Wiring in Shut off solenoid

texsasdiesel

anyone have a diagram or can tell an absolute wiring idiot how to wire in the shut off solenoid to the 24v please?

Does it still have the plug on it? And do you have the other half of the harness?

One wire is the ground the other is the pull in and hold in coils. The pullin pulls the solenoid in, and the hold in holds the solenoid on. The pull in is momentary only. You could come off of the motor terminal on your starter for the pullin, and then have the hold in on when the key is in the run position.

One wire is the ground the other is the pull in and hold in coils. The pullin pulls the solenoid in, and the hold in holds the solenoid on. The pull in is momentary only. You could come off of the motor terminal on your starter for the pullin, and then have the hold in on when the key is in the run position.

Exactly. But dont get the pull-in and hold wires reversed, or the solenoid will burn up. The pull in part of the solenoid coil is very very strong and pulls quite a bit of amperage, after the engine starts (starter is no longer running) the voltage is cut to the strong pull-in coil and the low amperage holding coil keeps the linkage in place.

im actually in the process of this myself! i swapped my whole motor for a 12v tho. got everything done but the solenoid...

This is what I had planed on doing, I'm having second thoughts on it though, I guess my question is, will the starter solenoid be able to take that much of a draw from the shut down solenoid and stater cranking ? I thought about adding a second 12volt starter solenoid to spilt the amperage. Are the 12 valve trucks wired right through the starter solenoid alone ? thanks alot ! -Ethan

12v's have a 70 amp relay, which is triggered by the starter. The starter itself doesn't power the shut off solenoid, though.

I got my shut down solenoid all wired up. I ended up using a 12v starter relay I had laying around off an old tractor. I unhooked the starter lead and gave it a try seems to function fine. Basicly I just tapped into the same trigger wire the starter uses so while cranking It pulls and key in run pos. it holds. I beleave its set up alot like the 12 valve trucks were. -Ethan
DSCN2172.jpg

I got my shut down solenoid all wired up. I ended up using a 12v starter relay I had laying around off an old tractor. I unhooked the starter lead and gave it a try seems to function fine. Basicly I just tapped into the same trigger wire the starter uses so while cranking It pulls and key in run pos. it holds. I beleave its set up alot like the 12 valve trucks were. -Ethan

Hmm i think i'll look for a solenoid like this.

Your 12v key on source, and the starter signal wire all hook to this solenoid which in turn controls the shut off solenoid?

Yeah, for the key on power I just tapped into my airdog key on power. used the trigger wire off the starter and ran a ground to frame and seperate cable to the battery. these relays are only about 10-15$ I think, havn't bought one in a while. -Ethan