Won't start when facing up hill

Loud&Obnoxious

Hey guys a have a 91 that will not start when facing up hill. It has fuel 6-8psi of fuel psi while cranking, when truck is leveled it fires up without hesitation. I changed the fuel shut off valve, and the lift pump (the original fuel pump had 4psi and with any throttle would drop to 0psi).

Turned the fuel screw in a bit now it fires up every time. I think that something is a bit worn in the injection pump.

Wow, I would definitely think it'd be a leak in a fuel supply or return line.

Injection pump problem that's solved by turning in the fuel screw? That's a funny solution. But it's a funny problem too.

Yes it was a very strange problem, I originally thought it must have a weak lift pump or it was getting sucking air, however that isn't the case. If it was sucking air I would expect it to do it whether its on flat ground or not and it would have to be pre lift pump on the suction side or their should be a leak visible if its on the supply side.. I would also expect it to at least try to fire even with some air in the system. However it does'nt even make a sputter just as if you were cranking it with the solenoid unplugged. It also happens instanly when on the hill like just alowing the engine enough time to come to a stop and trying to refire it before the fuel psi gauge even drops below 5psi. Then if you would coast down to level ground (like just if the front tires are sitting at the top of the ramps on a 4 post car lift) it wil fire up just as if it were never skipped a beat. There was no big smoke cloud or rough idle as if air was in the system, just fires up perfect. Its strange but I think the fuel screw at least bought the pump a little more time, but my guess is something is worn out.

i had the same issue, last winter, and it ended up being my air getting in thru my fuel filter housing it was a tiny bit loose....just changed my lift pump recently and now the truck has a leak in the system, and it pops when trying to rev it...