Workstock Truck

ryanihw350

1stGENPULLER
We are currently helping build a workstock pull truck. I just wanted to run the trucks specs so far to see if we are going in the right direction. Shooting for 600hp vp.
The Duramax we are looking to beat is going to be in that range.
The truck is a 01 3500 Dodge Dually Automatic: Stock VP, Edge hot comp box/smarty(thinking about redline box later on and upgrading valve springs, would like the 4000 rpms), 150hp DDP injectors, AD 165 II lift pump.
stock valve springs and gaskets(upgrading later on)
Transmission: has all stock shafts was rebuilt by him. Lockup switch also.
Installed 4.30 Yukon gears and detroit locker in rear. Thinking about a mini spool for the front. This is a weekend driver for him.

The turbo has to be stock appearing, we have the turbo part taking care of I believe with enough air for 700hp.
Ladder bars and weight bars are going on in couple of weeks

Any comments welcomed, I am not a vp guru. Thanks

IMO, I think u need much larger injectors, and maybe a different chip like u stated either that redline box or a quadzilla with the 4k tune, think that's goin to be ur best bet to get to the 4000rpm range, then the next issue will be floating valves at those rpms with stock valve train. Think that a good set of valve springs should be on the parts list. 600hp iam assuming at the wheels will be hard to get to with a vp truck with out doing much more then that. I would like to know what that turbo is and who built it with what wheels for it to appear like a stock HX35-or 40 that will support 700hp? I have a 02 that I have invested a lot of money into with compounds common rail head swap that's ported and polished and o-ringed and all hamilton cams parts, big sticks and a stage6 ats tranny and ALOT of other parts I didn't list, I haven't dyno'd it yet but I bet its right above ur goal mark with out any juice. That's just to give u a idea on what I had to go though to get to that level hope it was some help and good luck

What tires. It will be hard to get 4000 in 3rd with it locked up

they are 285/65/16s so sort of cheap All terians. Yeah i know it won't tote 4000rpms down the track but if it would be in 3000rpm range would be good. How much hp would it take to run 3rd gear locked up? The truck needs to be in the 20mph track speed range. From the calculator 3rd would do it. Remember it has 4.30 gears.

Last edited:
IMO, I think u need much larger injectors, and maybe a different chip like u stated either that redline box or a quadzilla with the 4k tune, think that's goin to be ur best bet to get to the 4000rpm range, then the next issue will be floating valves at those rpms with stock valve train. Think that a good set of valve springs should be on the parts list. 600hp iam assuming at the wheels will be hard to get to with a vp truck with out doing much more then that. I would like to know what that turbo is and who built it with what wheels for it to appear like a stock HX35-or 40 that will support 700hp? I have a 02 that I have invested a lot of money into with compounds common rail head swap that's ported and polished and o-ringed and all hamilton cams parts, big sticks and a stage6 ats tranny and ALOT of other parts I didn't list, I haven't dyno'd it yet but I bet its right above ur goal mark with out any juice. That's just to give u a idea on what I had to go though to get to that level hope it was some help and good luck

Thanks. We tried Quad. The truck hated it without the 4k tune, couldn't get it to run right so Quad gave him his money back. Went with the trusty edge/smarty combo.
600hp is our goal. I know we might be in the 450hp-500hp range right now.
I can't give you info on the turbo right now since the owner wants it kept quiet but we have the first production one. the test model made 700hp on a 06 common rail efi live tuned. So the air is there for hp.
Is the common rail head swap worth it?

His plans later on are some hamilton springs and pushrods along with maybe a 188/220 cam.

I ran 3rd locked up with 410s all year on tight clay tracks and never powered out. That was with 245/85/16 master crafts (dually) you should be alright with 430s but you will probably struggle to get over 3200rpm but that's fine for a auto vp.
You should pull down to about 2400 at the end of the track and still be able spin out depending on Turbo

It sounds like a 63mm fleece charger. I agree that you will need much larger injectors to take advantage of that charger. I only had enough fuel for 457 with a cheap set of 150's. If you are shooting for 600 I would use something closer to a 7x14. The cam would also be a good investment if you are spending that kind of money on a turbo. As far as tuning goes, I am partial to the ADR 4K over the Comp, but I've never ran the Redline. A back to back dyno would be neat if there isn't one out there already.

I would love to see a quad with 4k vs. redline box on the same highly modded vp truck on a dyno back to back! And the newer common rail cummins is a lttle bit different of an animal then the ol VP44. And the commonrail head swap idk if it was worth it had to get custom cross over tubes from Monster Mike, the theory is good about the swap but if i was to do it again it would just get the head shaved and intake made for it.

well normally id vote for the quad 4k too but autos hate the 4k tune, its pretty rough. your going to have a hard time beating EFI trucks... ppump and a 64mm turbo does it for a truck around here.

6x0.013", keep the Edge/Smarty, auto trucks don't seem to like the Redline.

My truck seems to like it so far haven't need to turn it up all the way yet now that I got a fully built tranny I don't need to worry about breaking any shafts so it will be getting some play time here soon! I have heard the same negative things about the redline box as well as the 4k, that's it rough in the higher rpms

I was having problems with it running rough around 3700 with my 4k untill I set the rev limiter at 4600, or whatever the highest setting is. It seemed to help clean it up as far as being choppy. However, that is on a manual truck.

4400 is the max rev limit. the 4k likes being at 100% throttle or nothing. if you cruise around with it itll get jumpy. its race haha

Another vote for bigger injectors 150hp injectors are usually around 6x010 and that ain't gona get you to 600. Maybe 475 on a very well tuned truck.

Yeah I would say 6x13 and I don't think you need a 4k box or redline with that set up IMO

everybody loves some more rpm though

yeah 4000 would give him a good range of ground speed. Our Sled is a speed sled that he will pull 80% of the time. So most likely whoever is going to run the fastest ground speed is gonna win.

Anybody have any dealings personally with an auto and redline? Didn't know it someone has had sucess with it pulling automatics?
May call Chip with Blue Chip to see what he says about it.

rpm also gives you more gear options, you can run a lower gear without running out of power. and free reving to *000 rpm doesnt mean it fuels to *000 rpm. pay attention to that.

I could see using the 4k if you plan on winding out in second before you hit drive. What I'm saying is will the truck be able to even reach 4000 rpm at that horse power level in 3rd.
I could only get 3100 on loose tracks couldn't even hit the rev limiter. I figured I was at about 550hp tops.
Another thing to think about. We also use rpms to keep a big Turbo lit. That's not much of an issue in workstock

from phone

Last edited: