Worth it to cam a stock 06?

RyeThomas

Need some help. I received a new cam in a trade with vendor. Now I had a cam in my big truck and I understand the benefit, but this is my 06 mega that is basically stock. Will a cam be worth it on a truck running a stock turbo? Will I gain any real mileage? The problem is that install is above my shade tree skills so I am going to have to pay for it and it's not cheap. I will also have to add springs with the cam. The install with springs sure can pay for a lot of Diesel. Thoughts? Tia, Rye.

spending money on a better turbo will give you MUCH more for your money then a cam at your level. $.02

Lavon

Complete waste of time on a stock truck. These things live and die on the charger.

Thanks fellas, that's what I figured. I will just sell it and find a hair dryer. This economy sucks, my last truck if I wanted it I got it. Tried 2 sets of twins and a bunch of set ups. This time around I have no cash so I gotta do it right the first time. Again, thanks.

Put the Cam on the shelf and save it for a later date. You don't always have to install springs. Depends on boost, RPM, etc.

As others have said, not worth it where your at IMHO. I'd look into a turbo, they're the most fun to buy and play with anyways:D.

Last edited:
Put the Cam on the shelf and save it for a later date. You don't always have to install springs. Depends on boost, RPM, etc.

I was going to do springs later, that I can do but after talking with the vendor I would need spring from the start. I would love to shelf it but with the cash I make I could have my turbo a lot sooner :rockwoot:.