Wrist pin bushing install

Got Smoke?

Just curious if this is along the correct lines or not.

Local machine shop I used to clean my head and block and bore out my cylinders wants $50 a piece/rod to install and my new bushings and pins?

I thought everything else I had done there was reasonable. Cleaned my crank block head, bored my block .020 over polished my crank all for $200. This wrist pin stuff seems high though? Am I getting took or is this the correct way to do this? First time building a Cummins, and its for my 2.6 puller also.

Oops that should have said $50 a rod to install the bushings and fit the wrist pin to it.

Just curious if this is along the correct lines or not.

Local machine shop I used to clean my head and block and bore out my cylinders wants $50 a piece/rod to install and my new bushings and pins?

I thought everything else I had done there was reasonable. Cleaned my crank block head, bored my block .020 over polished my crank all for $200. This wrist pin stuff seems high though? Am I getting took or is this the correct way to do this? First time building a Cummins, and its for my 2.6 puller also.

That seems low.

$50 seems high to press out the old bushing and press in the new bushing. Does the shop know these pins float?

That seems low.

$50 seems high to press out the old bushing and press in the new bushing. Does the shop know these pins float?

Now that I've thought about crank went at a different time. $200 was for hot tanking block and head and boring block out.

Said shop is attached to a heavy equipment shop so they are used to diesel's not sure if he knows the pins float? I do because I disassembled them when I took the motor apart, but I didn't know if the pins actually needed sizing or not? That's why Im asking.

Now that I've thought about crank went at a different time. $200 was for hot tanking block and head and boring block out.

Said shop is attached to a heavy equipment shop so they are used to diesel's not sure if he knows the pins float? I do because I disassembled them when I took the motor apart, but I didn't know if the pins actually needed sizing or not? That's why Im asking.

My first thought was that they were quoting you a price for pressing the pins in as well as changing the bushing, but I could be wrong.

My first thought was that they were quoting you a price for pressing the pins in as well as changing the bushing, but I could be wrong.

Price quote he told me was for installing my new bushings and "sizing" the pins to the bushing? He knows this is a high rpm high hp motor build, be he's used to rebuilding back to stock motors.

If all that's needed is pressing in the new bushings then I have someone who can do that for me for next to nothing.

The top of the B series Cummins rods are tapered so without some specialized tooling it's going to be next to impossible to get the bushings installed without damaging them. Check the price of reconditioned rods from Cummins before you say $50 each is too much!

really? all of the b series industrial engines i've done here are full floaters....
are truck versions different?

I have a local machine shop that does them all the time for around $28 a rod. I'd say they are a little high.

The top of the B series Cummins rods are tapered so without some specialized tooling it's going to be next to impossible to get the bushings installed without damaging them. Check the price of reconditioned rods from Cummins before you say $50 each is too much!

I spoke with Jeff Mumau today...he said recon'd rods are a little over $100...he just threw it out there I didn't ask specifically.

if they are resizing them,its not a bad price

Yes after talking with Jeff @ Mumau & Joe @ PDP when installing new bushings the bushing has to be fitted to the rod. They are *usually* around .010 out is what I heard today. Jeff's guy does his for half the price I got quoted, Joe said they do not replace unless they are out of spec. I have not had mine checked yet, I just assumed for puller motor it would be a good idea to go ahead and replace them all.

I have a local machine shop that does them all the time for around $28 a rod. I'd say they are a little high.

I'm going to speak to another shop next week and see if they are familiar with doing them and the price.

you might get ahold of jimmy taylor at skytower in stanford. they did all tyrones machine work. jimbob is real familiar with the higher hp diesels. might be worth a shot.

you might get ahold of jimmy taylor at skytower in stanford. they did all tyrones machine work. jimbob is real familiar with the higher hp diesels. might be worth a shot.

Was hoping to avoid shipping them anywhere Duck, but I'll keep that in mind thanks.

I just checked on having mine done. They have to be shipped out, and they want about $40 a piece just for the bushings to be pressed in + sizing cost.
No one around here seems to do that sort of thing...

I just checked on having mine done. They have to be shipped out, and they want about $40 a piece just for the bushings to be pressed in + sizing cost.
No one around here seems to do that sort of thing...

Where are you located? I called the other shop I mentioned today. Its a Car Quest parts house with a machine shop in the back. I asked him if he would be able to check my current bushings to see if they were in spec, he said yes no prob. I then asked how much to install my new ones if they are out of spec....he said $6-8 a piece...I thought he said "$60 to $80 a piece" so I asked him "HOW MUCH!?" .....$8 a piece put in and sized. :eek: My cousin is dropping off my rods & the new bushings in the morning! :rockwoot:

Where are you located? I called the other shop I mentioned today. Its a Car Quest parts house with a machine shop in the back. I asked him if he would be able to check my current bushings to see if they were in spec, he said yes no prob. I then asked how much to install my new ones if they are out of spec....he said $6-8 a piece...I thought he said "$60 to $80 a piece" so I asked him "HOW MUCH!?" .....$8 a piece put in and sized. :eek: My cousin is dropping off my rods & the new bushings in the morning! :rockwoot:

That sounds a little too cheap to me. You should ask him what fixture he uses to place the rod in while fitting the bushing. Maybe he has done a lot of them and he can do them super fast or something. LOL

That sounds a little too cheap to me. You should ask him what fixture he uses to place the rod in while fitting the bushing. Maybe he has done a lot of them and he can do them super fast or something. LOL

Yeah gonna have my cousin ask a few questions when he drops them off this morning. Like has he done a bunch of Cummins rods, etc. They are just a good 'ol boy shop that doesn't charge an arm and a leg appearently. I took my o-ringed head by there to get mag'd when I pulled my motor apart...he did it in while it was in the trunk of my Jetta and didn't charge me anything. Then I did some trading for a different bone stock head and took it by there and dropped it off to be hot tanked, checked for flatness, and mag'd....Bill was like $27 & change when I picked it up. Guess I need to start doing more business with them.

Yeah gonna have my cousin ask a few questions when he drops them off this morning. Like has he done a bunch of Cummins rods, etc. They are just a good 'ol boy shop that doesn't charge an arm and a leg appearently. I took my o-ringed head by there to get mag'd when I pulled my motor apart...he did it in while it was in the trunk of my Jetta and didn't charge me anything. Then I did some trading for a different bone stock head and took it by there and dropped it off to be hot tanked, checked for flatness, and mag'd....Bill was like $27 & change when I picked it up. Guess I need to start doing more business with them.

Yeah it sounds like you do need to. LOL The place that I take mine told me most places don't have the appropriate fixture to place the rods in while resizing them and they end up not bored square. Like you said though, could just be the good ol boy shop that is just trying to get by like everyone else.

Yeah it sounds like you do need to. LOL The place that I take mine told me most places don't have the appropriate fixture to place the rods in while resizing them and they end up not bored square. Like you said though, could just be the good ol boy shop that is just trying to get by like everyone else.

I stopped by and chatted with machinest today after work...I forgot to include a new wrist pin with my rods and bushings I sent. So when I drop off the new pin tomorrow he's going to check the specs on my current wrist pins which he is fairly confident will be within spec. He's going to call me and we will go from there...would be nice if they are because then I can return my bushings and put that $110 towards balancing the rotating assembly. I will post back what I hear from him.