Wtf is this???

GorillaDave

Aníbal Catastrophe
Dropped the pan on the trans to change fluid and filter today. Fluid didn't look too bad but figured it was time for a change anyway. When I finally got the pan down this was laying in the bottom. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360192526.289773.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1360192585.428816.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1360192667.523716.jpg
What is it and what am I in for?

Sent from the BooBoo Bus

Definitely a snap ring. Hard to say for sure where it came from but the snap ring for OD direct is known for breaking a lot.

^^^ All the trans I have been into. 75% of them have had the O/D snap ring in pieces in the pan.

Good to know. Thanks guys. From what I could see the rest of it was beautiful. Previous owner had it rebuilt approx 30k before I got it so its around 80k now. It was bone stock when I bought it and all I have done is free pump mods. I reckon it's time to start buying trans stuff.

Sent from the BooBoo Bus

When I dropped the pan on my dads dtt tranny I found a snap ring in the pan. Been like that for 2 years now.

I figured it has been in the pan for who knows how long, so I put a new filter in it and filled it up with some Hy-Guard and took her down the road. Still shifts fine. BTW....I am extremely impressed with that fluid. Best my tranny has shifted since I have had the truck. Firm when needed but nice and supple during normal driving. Seems like it may have lowered my stall a bit as well.

Sent from the BooBoo Bus

Hy-guard is John Deer ya?

sent from my mobile thingy while picking my nose.

Dropped my stall about 100, but i only mixed 50/50. Its hydraulic oil. I've also used the cheap "tractor hydraulic oil" with same results. Trans always comes apart looking like new.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Looks like the OD direct snap ring as stated earlier... The only thing you'll lose when it finally goes is reverse, so it should get you home. Looks like it wasn't replaced on the rebuild, which is kinda ridiculous since it's only $5.

As for the Hy-Gard, if you are running straight Hy-Gard then yes, you will see about 200rpm reduction, but I do hope you are running a brass screen type filter. Being in Florida will be the only thing to save your arse from starving it for fluid in the cold. But if your filter starts to get clogged up at all it will have issues pulling fluid. Now Low Viscosity Hy-Gard on the other hand seems to perform just fine in cold climates with standard filters and still lowers stall a touch while firming up shifts under throttle.

Dropped my stall about 100, but i only mixed 50/50. Its hydraulic oil. I've also used the cheap "tractor hydraulic oil" with same results. Trans always comes apart looking like new.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

As long as it isn't green and minty smelling I can't say anything bad about cheaper fluids... But if it is, then I personally wouldn't go near it, I've seen more than a few friction material types literally fall of because it releases the adhesive.

I am running a brass screen filter as that is all they had in stock. I am driving now up to Lakeland. Couple things I have noticed.
1) cruising temps seems to be 8-10* higher at ambient temp of 75*
2) TQ has stopped shuttering
3) locked up in 3rd, when matted, it will push this little un gated hx35 to 40 psi as opposed to 32 before and EGT still in Check.

Sent from the BooBoo Bus

Which HY-GARD did you use? They have the normal hydraulic oil then they make low-vis HY-GARD. The low-vis actually is almost the same as factory standards as some ATF.

The reasons for that i bet are because yur running true hydraulic oil. Its heavier and will cause quicker heat build-up. It may raise your pressures a bit but its also robbing horsepower.