WTF!

BUICKpowerSIX

Ok so today I loaded my stock tune. Im driving to the store going down the highway and all the sudden loose most power. Startrs to smoke like crazy (white). I can barely give it any throttle or it wants to die. So I pull over reload the looney tune. Nothing better same thing. Get off the highway topping out at maybe 30 mph. Drop it from OD into 3rd to raise the rpms up to maybe 2k (can't really remember). This whole time it is smoking so much you can barely see car behind me. After about 10 seconds of being in 3rd it clears out and runs fine like nothing ever happened. Also to boot I have a horible shift flare 3-4. Takes a few seconds to go into reverse too.

So what the hell happened here. Is my HPOP gone? This is the first time anything like this ever happened. Although start up it smokes a lot of white smoke for about 5-8 min. Stalls almost once everytime when its cold out too. It stalls when the high idle kicks on.

Any and all input would be awsome. Thanks guys.

I would say injector issue..like one stuck open..thats what mine did..

What's the white smoke smell like ?

on start up? hard to tell but Id have to say diesel cause it burns the crap outa my nose and eyes (can't smell any coolant too overpowering). Just today, not sure cause it just out of the blue stopped smoking and driving fine.

I was kinda thinking an injector cause the startup scenario, but with droping a gear top get the r's up it fixed it wich makes me think something with the hpop.

Before my headgaskets and egr cooler were replaced mine would do that. I would loose power and look out of the mirror and just see white smoke.

Just for grins pop the EGR valve out and clean it up. If it's been turned off with the tuning I can only imagine how coked up and inoperable it is with stock programming on it.

Just for grins pop the EGR valve out and clean it up. If it's been turned off with the tuning I can only imagine how coked up and inoperable it is with stock programming on it.

That makes a lot of sense.

What about the tranny though? The 3-4 shifts were horrible but after 30 min of driving they tightened up. It still is slacking a little going into reverse though.

Guess that my trucks way of saying screw stock!:hehe:

What that is saying is that the trans is slowly eating itself but the increased line pressure the tuner puts in masks it. LOL
You can almost bet your direct drive clutches are hurt at least a little bit.

What about the tranny though? The 3-4 shifts were horrible but after 30 min of driving they tightened up. It still is slacking a little going into reverse though.

had to relearn the shifting

What that is saying is that the trans is slowly eating itself but the increased line pressure the tuner puts in masks it. LOL

WHAT! I thought custom tunes via xcal were "good" for the torqshift? Am I just ignorant here?

Are you serious?:aiwebs_016:

That sux. I have a grand national with the engine out right now cause I melted a piston in that. Now my truck. Can't get a break. Oh yeah and my softail has a blown head gasket.:bang

Hmmmm I do have a continental warantee. I wonder if they will cover it? Would be nice.

Last edited:
My tranny wouldnt shift past 3rd gear on the stock tune but load the inasnity file in and it acted completely normal if you didnt run wot thru the gears.
Now its out of the truck getting a suncoast rebuild.

The SCT has the ability to be tuned so that the stock trans will last a good, long time but you have to be realistic with this stuff.
If you add that much power...you are going to hurt things. Some things might get hurt quick...some things might get hurt slowly....but rest assured...things WILL get hurt.