x275 and 10.5 Tire Cars

Legendarydslper

So I am getting more and more interested doing something with a 2wd drag truck and I have noticed that alot of the guys running pro street in 2wd go with a rather large tire, 14.50-16.50in wide slick.

Some of my buddies that go 4.60-5.0 in the 1/8th on a 10.5 tire say its because they dont have the chassis set up right, some say its because they are leaving on so much more torque (which is my thought) and there are a couple other reasons I have heard that do not come to mind.

So...in CompD's opinion, is it possible to get a 1300-1500rwhp RCSB 2wd truck in the 4,000-4,500lb range, with a nice 4link backhalf setup to be consistent on a 10.5in tire?

Biggest issue is weight and distribution of the weight with the torque curve. I think a well built 4500 lbs truck can run on a 10.5 tire but not a 275.

Other thing to consider is track prep for your 10.5 class's is typically way better than any diesel event will have. When you have 30 to 50 street trucks running in front of you killing the track.

Most of those cars are on some type of controller to bring in power gradually....I know all the ones I work on are. That helps but they have the suspension under them to make it all work. These trucks just haven't gotten deep enough into the suspension yet to harness the power at the hit. Throwing giant tires at them is just a band aid. If motors could be set back a ways and get some real weight transfer it would help things a lot.

Yep

I agree with unbroken. It can happen but it's going to take a well setup chassis. With the electronic diesels you can control the power just like the big 10.5 cars. I also think guys need to get away from the truck trannies with deep first gears. You just don't need a lot of low gear with all the TQ they have.

Thanks for the input guys, I think I am going to go 4link on this project. As far as the transmission goes I think we are going to do a 47re in it, but maybe switch down the road if it doesnt work. The th400 or 4l80 seems like an option.

I spoke with Ryan Tucker about it for a while. Not that it can't be done, or shouldn't be done, it just doesn't need to be done....yet. There are not much for tire rules limiting you to a 10.5, so why limit yourself.

I agree, if you are not limited to the small tire then go with the consistency of the larger tire on the less than favorable track prep. Just kind of thought that if you are spending your money on a nice back half setup then why not use the suspension to make it hook instead of a extremely large tire