Young gun's 94 build thread

Sweet, I've been timid with that much torque on the pump shaft, but I'll try taking it up there and hopefully it holds time this go around. It was making some pretty good power when I flipped lockup and laid into it more. I saw about 40lbs of boost and lots of tire spin before the timing slipped.

Can I just say that the throttle response is ridiculous?!!??! Love my 13mm

Sweet, I've been timid with that much torque on the pump shaft, but I'll try taking it up there and hopefully it holds time this go around. It was making some pretty good power when I flipped lockup and laid into it more. I saw about 40lbs of boost and lots of tire spin before the timing slipped.

Can I just say that the throttle response is ridiculous?!!??! Love my 13mm

Is it that much different ? Also how's the engine start cold? Looks like it's cold there.
If it were me I would just get a gear and cover. It's so nice never having to worry about slip

I just torqued my 12mm as tight as I could with a breaker bar lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it that much different ? Also how's the engine start cold? Looks like it's cold there.
If it were me I would just get a gear and cover. It's so nice never having to worry about slip

It might not be a fair comparison since the 215 that the 13mm pump was built from had SERIOUS issues when certified got into it to check it out. Aside from that it's just plain awesome to just feather the throttle and be moving down the road in a hurry! It's defiantly a new experience. The pump is also set right at 500cc so it seems to be running fairly clean just cruising it around, overall I am VERY impressed with this pump that certified injection service (CIS) out of Salt Lake City built. It's AWESOME!

It is flipping cold! The timing is slipped but it will still fire up and idle normal. I am very curious to see how it does with lower compression in these single digit temperatures.

I brakleen the mess out of it. I pull the gear forward, hose it, blow it off with air, hose it again, and let it air dry. then torque it to 180. I also get a grade 8 washer from ace, its a little thicker than the stock one, I actually have to put it in the vice, clamp it closed, and bang on it with a hammer a little to close it up some so I can get the nut started. haven't had one slip yet doing it that way.

See I usually do all of that as my timing ritual, I usually replace the lock washer every other time as well, to date, in the entire 6 years of owning a 12 valve I've only slipped time twice with a 12mm pump. I've done it twice in two days with a 13mm LOL

right now my plan is to re time it and torque the nut even harder by adding 20ft lbs to my final torque and also doing a warm re torque. Hopefully those two little tricks will hold.

I will also add that to starts up alright in sub 20 degree weather. Even though the timing is slipped it fires right up after three cycles of the grids.

I brake cleaned the shaft and gear then roughed them up with some heavy grit sand paper, brake cleaned again then used a new washer and nut @ 175lbs.

I never could get the stock gear not slip when I first ran a 13mm. New washer,cleaned with almost whole can of brakeclean. I gave up and went with a keyed adjustable gear.

Red loctite works if you don't plan on adjusting it again. I had to heat the gear to get it off after using the loctite.

I've been driving the truck around, it snowed so I can't really lay into it, but my final torque on the pump but ended up at 190. Truck runs great but the injectors must be off because I have some small stumbling problems. Under load it mostly goes away.

Ordered an sgi-5 box to get my speedometer back.

Laid into it a little more and took it almost to half throttle and holy BALLS!!! This thing is an animal

The old timers here at work all told me on tapered shafts to torque to spec, take a larger socket and tap the gear with a hammer and retorque, that it will almost always seat tighter. No idea what affect it would have on the internal. I haven't tried it, but I think maybe my timing slipped, so I might have an excuse in the near future.