6.7 Conversion Wiring

Tobin

5.7 IDI Powaa!
I have a 2007.5 Cummins MT 6.7 I am working on getting the engine wiring sorted out.

How have you gotten then OBDII port hooked to the ECM. The port has a Batt + wire, 2 grounds and CAN BUS + and CAN BUS -. The CAN BUS wires go to the TIPM before going to the ECM. Can the CAN wires be hooked directly to the ECM and it will communicate to the ECM without using the TIPM?

Below is a list of the wires and positions in the firewall chassis plug. I have it and the ECM in Excel if anyone needs it.

Chassis Plug Cavity WIRE SIZE AND COLOR Description
1 K348 18BR (6.7L) SMART POWER RELAY RETURN
2 V37 20VT (DIESEL) S/C SWITCH NO. 1 SIGNAL
3 C818 20LB/OR A/C PRESSURE 5 VOLT SUPPLY
4 A209 10RD (DIESEL) FUSED B(+)
5 C18 20LB/BR A/C PRESSURE SIGNAL
6 K31 20BR (DIESEL) FUEL PUMP CONTROL
7 K174 18BR/YL (DIESEL) INTAKE AIR HEATER RELAY CONTROL
8 F960 20PK/LG (6.7L) FUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT (RUN-START)
9 T26 20DG/OR (6.7L 4WD) CLUTCH INTERLOCK/UPSTOP SWITCH OUTPUT
9 T26 18DG/OR (6.7L SHIFT ON THE FLY) CLUTCH INTERLOCK/UPSTOP SWITCH OUTPUT
10 C918 20BK/LB A/C PRESSURE GROUND
11 C13 20LB (6.7L M/T) A/C CLUTCH CONTROL
12 C3 20DB/YL A/C CLUTCH CONTROL OUTPUT
13 V32 20VT/YL (DIESEL) BRAKE SWITCH NO. 2 SIGNAL
14 G905 20BR/OR (6.7L) EXHAUST BRAKE SWITCH SIGNAL
15 V937 20VT/BR (6.7L) S/C SWITCH RETURN
16 F202 20PK/GY (6.7L) FUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT (RUN-START)
17 A961 14RD (DIESEL) FUEL HEATER CONTROL OUTPUT
18 T6 20DG (EXCEPT 6.7L) TOW/HAUL OVERDRIVE OFF SWITCH SIGNAL
19 K900 20DB/DG (EXCEPT 3.7L/5.7L) SENSOR GROUND
20 G904 20VT/DG (6.7L) EXHAUST BRAKE LAMP SIGNAL
21 K25 20DB/VT (DIESEL) BATT TEMP SIGNAL
22 B29 20DG/WT (DIESEL) BRAKE SWITCH NO. 1 SIGNAL
23 D64 20WT/LB CAN C BUS (-)
24 D65 20WT/LG CAN C BUS (+)
25 V38 20VT/OR (6.7L) S/C SWITCH NO. 2 SIGNAL
26 F348 16PK/OR (6.7L) SMART POWER RELAY FEED
27 K29 20WT/BR (DIESEL) APPS NO. 2 SIGNAL
28 K854 20VT/BR (DIESEL) 5 VOLT SUPPLY
29 K400 20BR/VT (DIESEL) APPS NO. 2 RETURN
30 K23 20BR/WT (DIESEL) APPS NO. 1 SIGNAL
31 K852 20BR/LB (6.7L) 5 VOLT SUPPLY
32 K167 20BR/DG (6.7L) APPS NO.1 RETURN
33 K974 18BR/BK (6.7L) INTAKE AIR HEATER RELAY CONTROL RETURN

I'm probably about a month away from driving my 99 Superduty 6.7/ZF6. I'll be doing the wiring next weekend. I'm sure you just run the can wires to the ECM. There should be no need to have the TIPM.

concurred. CAN+ and CAN- is everywhere on that bus, no matter where you tie into it.

I'm probably about a month away from driving my 99 Superduty 6.7/ZF6. I'll be doing the wiring next weekend. I'm sure you just run the can wires to the ECM. There should be no need to have the TIPM.

Yes and no. The ECM really needs to see a VSS. That one I am still working on to figure out. The engine will run but for some reason it won't make full power. Also make sure the MAF gets +12v which the TIPM controls (just run your own relay).

Tobin

There are actually three separate CAN bus systems. CAN-B, CAN-C, and Diagnostic CAN-C (most commonly refered to as CAN-D). CAN-C is the fastest providing near real time communication at 500kps. CAN-B is used for non-critical info at 83.3kps. The diag CAN-C is used exclusively for the transmission of diag between the TIPM and the Data Link Connector.

The TIPM is a gateway, or hub, that controls the bi-directional transfer of messages between all three bus.

Although, yes, there is a CAN-high and CAN-low wire almost everywhere, I'd be careful which one you tie into. I wish I had the answers for you but I'm only on day two of figuring this all out. :D I actually read this on one of the sheets you send me, Tobin.

Yes and no. The ECM really needs to see a VSS. That one I am still working on to figure out. The engine will run but for some reason it won't make full power. Also make sure the MAF gets +12v which the TIPM controls (just run your own relay).

Tobin

VSS input is not on the Can circuit. I'm not sure what pin it comes in on the C130 connector, but it should come from the rear axle speed sensor on Ford. I think you can tap in near the ABS unit, if I remember correctly it's a grey/black wire at the ABS unit. Actually it may not even come in on the C130, but from one of the other connectors on the harness. Not sure yet. I plan on diving in this weekend, hopefully.

Last edited:
VSS input is not on the Can circuit. I'm not sure what pin it comes in on the C130 connector, but it should come from the rear axle speed sensor on Ford. I think you can tap in near the ABS unit, if I remember correctly it's a grey/black wire at the ABS unit. Actually it may not even come in on the C130, but from one of the other connectors on the harness. Not sure yet. I plan on diving in this weekend, hopefully.

I believe it is on the CAN circuit on the CM2100 ECM. That is what makes it so hard to get a signal to the ECM. If you find otherwise, let me know but there is a lot of information fed on the BUS.

Tobin

Well I should know what I'm talking about before I pipe up. It appears that there is no VSS input for the CM2100. It must be on the bus. Now the question is, is it needed to get full rpm like the 5.9 seems to need???

Well I should know what I'm talking about before I pipe up. It appears that there is no VSS input for the CM2100. It must be on the bus. Now the question is, is it needed to get full rpm like the 5.9 seems to need???

Not full RPM but full power yes.

Jory- Need you electrical expertise to make a device to buffer a analog VSS to a CAN signal

Tobin

Not full RPM but full power yes.
Jory- Need you electrical expertise to make a device to buffer a analog VSS to a CAN signal
Tobin

Something that takes in 0-5V or 4-20ma and converts and transmits it to the CAN bus?

Sure.

I use one.

FW Murphy - XM500

Is that what you mean? I have three pressure tranducers, one thermocouple, and a 0-5V temp prove on it...or did have 'til I took it off the truck to sell.

Well according to Destroked the VSS is not needed on the 6.7 ECU. I suppose I'll find out for sure when I try to run it without.

4x4, it's good to know there is something that can convert the signal to the bus, thanks.

I have the hardware and software to program that module for you guys if you decide to get one. FYI.

It looks like it might also be able to output a check engine light?? What do these things cost?

Well according to Destroked the VSS is not needed on the 6.7 ECU. I suppose I'll find out for sure when I try to run it without.

4x4, it's good to know there is something that can convert the signal to the bus, thanks.

Its not a necessity but for full power it is needed. For some reason it seems like Smarty has a way around it.

Tobin

It looks like it might also be able to output a check engine light?? What do these things cost?

Hell I don't know. LOL I got friends who love me. LOL

They do have "fault" alarms on them...but never set one up. I think it will.

Manual : http://www.fwmurphy.com/uploaded/documents/pdfs/00-02-0789.pdf

Around page 20.

You can probably get a price from these guys. Don't forget to price the software if it doesn't come with it.

Engine, Motor & Gen-Set Controls, Murphy Link, Engine Panels: Bailey Motor Equipment: NC, SC, GA

That place is right down the road! I am going to give them a call.

Tobin

Its not a necessity but for full power it is needed. For some reason it seems like Smarty has a way around it.

Tobin

How do you know that it is needed for full power? I do not doubt you, just want to understand.

Back