Best brands for travel trailers

Lucky Jeff

Stock Sucks
I know the quality isn't quite as good on the TT's as they are in some of the 5th wheels. But a 5th won't really work for me at the moment. So, who's TT's have you guys had good luck with? Chassis/axle/suspension quality, decent fit and finish, Amenities, etc.. Looking for a new or almost new low 30' with 2 or 3 slides. Bunk model.

Last edited:
The only newer one I have first hand experience with, is my parent's Denali (by Dutchmen). They purchased it new (I think 2010) and had a few problems the first year: one window leaked, slide rail mechanism jammed and wouldn't fully retract, and a water line was installed kinked and would not flow. The leaky window and slide mechanism were both repaired by the dealer and my dad fixed the water line himself. Sine then the only other problem he had was the exterior hose connection that has a double check valve, it trapped water which froze and broke over winter.

Denali does offer a 30' bunk house model, with single slide. Here is a link for pics: Denali 261BH

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like I will need to keep an eye on any trailer I get just for the little things. That one won't quite work for me though. I need at least 3 bunks. 4 would be nice. The slides have me concerned the most. There seems to be a big difference between manufacturers when it comes to those things. My Dad had a number of issues with his. Had one fail just bringing it home from Arizona when it was new.

Check out Open Range trailers. Those thing are built really well. Had a 2012 model 340. Thing was built damn good. Just to bad it didn't make it through a tornado in Nebraska back in June of this year. I have since replaced it with a 33 1/2 ft cougar tt. Just look up open range i know they make bunk house models.

All is know is if you plan on using it in the cold weather make sure it's rated and insulated for the temperature.

Check out Open Range trailers. Those thing are built really well. Had a 2012 model 340. Thing was built damn good. Just to bad it didn't make it through a tornado in Nebraska back in June of this year. I have since replaced it with a 33 1/2 ft cougar tt. Just look up open range i know they make bunk house models.

That's probably the best setup I have seen yet. About 10k more then the others I was looking at. But it's exactly what I would want. Thanks for the suggestion!

And yes, it will be used year 'round here in the NW. So the cold weather package will be a must (not that it get's THAT cold, but still).

I ordered the open range i had. Top quality for a trailer. I basically live in mine, since i work construction. Make sure to get the dual pane windows and the arctic package. My trailer had the electric fireplace insert also. Was a nice option to have on the cold nebraska winter nights. I know you look at the price and alot of people are scared off. But your buying quality. I wished i could of afforded to get another one after mine was destroyed.

I have been living in travel trailers for going on 20 years now. I am on my fifth trailer. Don't just buy a trailer because it was cheaper than another you really wanted. Trust me I'm staying in a trailer that aint half the trailer my open range was.

Saw this one sitting at a lot near me. I didn't stop and look, but checked it out online. Doesn't have bunks, but upper loft for parents and a lower kids room (with 4' ceiling height). Another option for you, and it's one I don't think I've seen before.

Riverside RV

Floorplan

We bought a new 2014 Catalina (by Coachmen) 313RLS this year. We really like the floor plan as it is the only one we found locally that had bunks for the kids, rear living, and a horse-shoe dining table. Quality on the trailer has had a few issues, but as with most vehicles, it probably depends on which day of the week it is build like anything else.

34.5 ft.

attachment.php

The top bunk folds up and the bottom bunk is just big cushions that set on the floor. It is actually more comfortable than the bed mattress. If you leave the kids at home, it is used for storage or you could put a desk in there or anything. So 2 in the bed, 1 in each bunk, 2 on the queen fold down table bed, and 1 on the jack-knife couch...it will sleep 7 without anyone on the floor.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1466.jpg
    IMG_1466.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 313RLS Floorplan.jpg
    313RLS Floorplan.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
We bought a new 2014 Catalina (by Coachmen) 313RLS this year. We really like the floor plan as it is the only one we found locally that had bunks for the kids, rear living, and a horse-shoe dining table. Quality on the trailer has had a few issues, but as with most vehicles, it probably depends on which day of the week it is build like anything else.

34.5 ft.

attachment.php

The top bunk folds up and the bottom bunk is just big cushions that set on the floor. It is actually more comfortable than the bed mattress. If you leave the kids at home, it is used for storage or you could put a desk in there or anything. So 2 in the bed, 1 in each bunk, 2 on the queen fold down table bed, and 1 on the jack-knife couch...it will sleep 7 without anyone on the floor.

attachment.php

Looks like you need some more air in those bags!!

Looks like you need some more air in those bags!!

Front wheels are up on the terrace that diverts water from the barn behind the truck. It sets level. Weight distribution hitches are a MUST with tag trailers that long. But thanks for noticing. ;)

FWIW, when we write a TT warranty, we offer a rate discount for Jayco, Airstream, Open Range and Starcraft trailers. I assume that means they come back less for warranty issues.

Back