BLACKS DIESEL, i'm not happy

Cozze44

Junkman
Ok, never had to do this nor have I ever wanted to do this but enough is enough. I purchased a long block from Ashley about a month ago now. I talked to him and told him that I was rebuilding my 02 VP engine. I knew this was out of an 06, I asked him if there were any differences in the block, to which he told me no the only thing that is gonna be different is a sensor, but I didn't have to worry about it.

I got my old motor tore down, and noticed the blocks look totally different. I did some measuring and comparing and figured with some work I can make it work. I noticed the oil filter housing was different, oil pick-up tube, went to mount the timing cover, bolt holes are way of an most not even there, including the dowel pins. Either way, i'm a worker, I told Ashley no worries ill make it work, just help me out and answer any questions I have, which to me seemed fair considering most customers prob would have said "no way, I want my money back."

About a week ago I asked about the filter housing and cooler, and he told me he would get me price, never heard from him again. Messaged him multiple times, no response. This morning I called his business, left message, no response.

I realize that partially I will take blame for what is going on, in the fact that I should have researched it a little further, but instead I took his word. I don't expect cash back from the 4g's i spent with him, I just expect that since I spent that much money, and am really trying to work together to resolve the situation that he could have the decency to help me out with getting a few parts to make this happen, or give me some info I need. Isn't that common business ethics? I hate to trash a sponsor of this site, but after spending that much money, and you won't take a little time to help me after you told me I wont have an issue, shame on you. :poke:

I'm a little confused.

What year truck is the engine going into?
What year engine did you buy?

As far as the motor mount boss spacing that is the same between 02 and 06, but the timing cover will not fit at all. That's why they make fancy billet p pump timing cases for the CR and 6.7

Might as well buy some CR components and do a CR conversion. You are halfway there

Last edited:
Who the hell think, the CR block will work with VP front gearcase?

:poke:

As far as the motor mount boss spacing that is the same between 02 and 06, but the timing cover will not fit at all. That's why they make fancy billet p pump timing cases for the CR and 6.7

Might as well buy some CR components and do a CR conversion. You are halfway there

I got the timing cover for the vp on there.... it wasn't to hard, just had to drill some holes and tap for some bolts and dowels. And yes if I had the rest of the cash i would love to make it a CR.

I got the timing cover for the vp on there.... it wasn't to hard, just had to drill some holes and tap for some bolts and dowels. And yes if I had the rest of the cash i would love to make it a CR.

Well If you got the timing cover on that's the biggest hurdle in my opinion.

Sounds like you just jumped the gun on buying it and want him to fix it. Crank gears are different too. Sounds like like the guy a few weeks ago who jump on goerends case about them not doing warranty work on a transmission what already passed the warranty. Im sure their is more to the story.

Eventhough the front cover may mount up, I would be sure to make sure the gear mesh is correct on all the drive gears.

Sounds like you just jumped the gun on buying it and want him to fix it. Crank gears are different too. Sounds like like the guy a few weeks ago who jump on goerends case about them not doing warranty work on a transmission what already passed the warranty. Im sure their is more to the story.

I never said I wanted him to fix, I said i'd make it work in the first post. Want I want him to do is acknowledge me as a customer who bought a part that that isnt as compatible as him, the seller said it was. Never did I say I wanted hime to fix it. I would like him to work with me, i.e. help me get the parts I need to make it work. But instead I'm being ignored.

Crank gears aren't difficult to swap out, just need to use the VP gears on the CR.

Sucks to hear hope it all works out.

Just saw this. Sorry Ive been swamped and haven't been on here much lately.

First off, I sold this engine for less than what the rods and pistons cost. I had no idea there was gonna be any kind of negative feedback on a deal like that. Secondly, I assumed you knew you would have to mod the front cover to fit the CR engine. Sorry, that was my fault. I thought since you knew it was a CR block, going into a vp truck, you already had that info. Lastly, Ill gladly give you a refund and take the engine back if your not happy with it. I could have sold ten times over since you got it. So no problem, if you want a refund just let me know.

I can say with 100% certainty that Ashley is a stand up guy. He is a man of his word, I know first hand!

Just saw this. Sorry Ive been swamped and haven't been on here much lately.

First off, I sold this engine for less than what the rods and pistons cost. I had no idea there was gonna be any kind of negative feedback on a deal like that. Secondly, I assumed you knew you would have to mod the front cover to fit the CR engine. Sorry, that was my fault. I thought since you knew it was a CR block, going into a vp truck, you already had that info. Lastly, Ill gladly give you a refund and take the engine back if your not happy with it. I could have sold ten times over since you got it. So no problem, if you want a refund just let me know.

From the way I read it, I think he just needs your expertise and advice on the parts he needed and that he assumed he'd receive them upon purchase.

Where does the 4g's come from?

I've always wanted to make a name for myself by attacking one of the best known people in the diesel world, who was trying to help you out.

Actually no, I delivered the engine to the Rockingham NHRDA race for him. So it didnt cost him anything to ship. The engine was $3500 and then he purchased an upgraded cam which I sold at cost. So thats where the $4000 came from.

Back