Boost leak tester

bateman

Shot in the dark, but does anyone here have one they are not using nowadays and want to loan, rent, sale, sell or sail? Prefer one that would go in turbo inlet. Could test whole system in one shot then.

My truck is not getting full fuel. Immediately changed filters and pre screen, checked turbo. Second test drive I paid more attention and I can feel the governor on the afc with my foot. No apparent leak in the boost reference hose from intake to afc. Possible torn diaphragm or leaky boot I am thinking.

Gonna make or buy a tester either way so figured I would ask here. Thanks

AFC diaphragm or where the angled boots like to rub the fender is my guess. Those intercoolers are getting old too

Go rig up a PVC end cap for a airline fitting, rubber clamp on boot and regulate to 15psi. You'll find it.

Go rig up a PVC end cap for a airline fitting, rubber clamp on boot and regulate to 15psi. You'll find it.

I didn’t even think about using pvc. I was trying avoid cranking my welder haha thanks

Yea I’m hoping it’s not the cooler. Those are the most horrible looking welds, sweats, or whatever they are on the end tanks. Look like splatters of chewed bubblegum.

Take the filter tube off the turbo, get a buddy to hold a 6×6" piece of plywood board over the turbo inlet,

Then pull out the brass npt fitting you have the boost psi tapped into, and get a rubber tip air nozzle and pressure it up.

Take the filter tube off the turbo, get a buddy to hold a 6×6" piece of plywood board over the turbo inlet,

Then pull out the brass npt fitting you have the boost psi tapped into, and get a rubber tip air nozzle and pressure it up.

Man I like the way you think haha

Spray soap and water around all the connections
With a Windex type bottle and nozzle. Don't forget the cover plate on the intake. That gasket can blow out and you won't always get the high pitched leak noise.

No apparent leak in the boost reference hose from intake to afc.

Are you talking about this plastic tube? They get very brittle. It’s basically nylon air tubing with compression fittings.

attachment.php

Attachments

• B79F5909-4FC3-43A6-904A-32EA7FBE17BE.jpeg
    B79F5909-4FC3-43A6-904A-32EA7FBE17BE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Good idea Jeff I will do that.

Yep that’s the tube. Mine seemed to be good. I bent it all directions looking for a crack.

Took my AFC apart today and found a torn diaphragm. Cleaned everything up well and put it back together and bam double the boost haha. New diaphragm on the way and I’ll get it taken care of for good.

Boost leak tester did show me some noise from the AFC area but in the end it was easy to just take it off and look.

On a real mild 12v truck, I almost prefer take the foot out.

Just drive it by the other foot.

Last edited: