cam removal Q's???

MegaCabRam

Not real familiar with powerstrokes, we have the motor on the stand, can we do it like a Cummins? Flip it and pull the cam out or do the heads have to come off? Got low compression in every cylinder so we're thinking the cam gear has probably slipped...

The lifters do have retainers to keep them from spinning and coming out of their bore. Though I am not sure how easy it will be to get the cam out though. On a side note I have never seen a stock 7.3 spin the cam inside the gear.. But to answer the question you should be able to flip the motor and pull the cam out with the rocker arms and push rods off.

Any ideas on what could be going on then? That's what we were told could have happened and it's the only thing that halfway made sense... The truck has 300k + miles but the engine is a factory Ford reman with under 100k I think.

Have you done a cylinder leak down test? If you turn the motor over and the valves are opening in correlation to the right stroke of the engine, and its not making compression then the air is going somewhere.. past the rings, back through the intake or exhaust valve the valves may not be seating properly. What was the compression numbers?

I think between 150-200 I can't remember for sure. I can't see it being the rings with all of them being low, the valve timing being off is the only thing that makes sense...

Ok if its on a stand put the engine at TDC compression stroke on the #1 cylinder there should not be a valve open on with the #1 at TDC compression stroke. suck squeeze bang blow.. If its not happening in that order in correlation to crank timing then the cam has slipped or the gear on the crank has moved and caused the the cam to be off time. If the engine has been eating dirt and dust all of its life due to poor air filtration or bad oil can cause fried rings did it start smoking??