Chain's or strap's?

I don't think 4 2" ratchet strap's would be rated enough for a 8500lb Truck. I was thinking at least 3" or maybe even 4" straps! I like the idea of shortening.

2" are rated at 3k a piece use 4, and u have a 4 point tie down needed per FMCSA regs.

4 2" 3300lb can handle 13,200lbs

i run 2 4700lb chains 4 binders

Technically 2 chains and 4 binders unless independently hooked to structure is not a 4 point tie down, I know that is splitting hairs but call it dot regs lol.

run chains like this doesnt cut it either... basicly 2 chains 2 binders
180384_1738007723575_5564005_n.jpg

actually 3 chains 5 binders on this
549793_10200314753245030_1264699966_n.jpg

anything over 20' long requires 3 securment points
3 chains 4 binders
395267_10200802661522432_24969947_n.jpg

Last edited:
Technically 2 chains and 4 binders unless independently hooked to structure is not a 4 point tie down, I know that is splitting hairs but call it dot regs lol.

see posted pictures ;)

hooks on the trailer slop in the center

better example ;)
1011861_10201028213081080_1719948625_n.jpg

599744_10201545846181584_782868322_n.jpg

Last edited:
that chain is now seen as 2 according to securement standards.

Thanks for all the input guy's! I think I'm going to buy a set of 4 3" ratchet strap's with the chain ends and give it a try this season. The 2" strap's just don't seem big enough for me even know there rated for 3k each!

I used chains, if you are just hauling the same vehicle modify the vehicle to simplify tie town.

I had a hook bolted to my front axle, and two hooks set up on the rear.

Front hook was a safety latch hook that would allow chain to slide. I would pull truck up, throw the chain in the latch, then put it in reverse and tighten the chain. Go drop a chain in each side on the back and boom it down. The only thing I didn't like about this as mentioned earlier, if the chain on the front would fail, the front would be loose.

So I bought axle J hooks and cut the chain in front. Pull forward, throw the axle hook on the front axle, then back up. Only bad thing about this was if the vehicle wasn't on straight one chain might be looser. The solution would be a binder on the front chains.

I have seen folks use straps, and while they work, I can have mine died down much faster, and never have to worry about any cutting of the strap.

for vehicles..

I have the over the tire straps, I bought at truck and tow.com THEY ARE WORTH their weight in gold.. I have hauled both my trucks with them on my 25 foot gooseneck with zero issues..

Heavy equipment, I use chains and binders with a minimum of two anchor points for smaller ones (bobcats etc) and 4 for tractors such as a backhoe or john deere 5205..

Tx DOT likes to see more straps on heavier machinery, including the rear bucket chained down on a backhoe...

whips,chains, and straps they all do it for me..........................................
oops wrong forum

On my truck we do 1 chain/binder on the front corners, then a 2" strap over the rear hitch receiver(large tube style). We hauled my truck a good bit last year and never once moved or shifted.

Seems like everyone has about the right answers.

I keep chains and straps, depending on what you're tying down. I use chains more often, but you have to keep straps, just in case.

Use your head, and don't always trust a hillbilly. :D
Chris

As far as straps go, most professional race teams trust their rigs to Mac's Straps. Here is their website...

https://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/

As for the guys talking about four 3,000 lbs straps (one at each corner) equals 12,000 lbs of holding, I think physics might argue with you. In my opinion EACH strap should be able to support more than the weight of the rig you are strapping down!!! Think about the force that will be exerted if you have to stop fast or even worse if you get into an accident!!! Do you really think that the two 3,000 lbs straps holding the rear of your 8,000 lbs truck will hold it on the trailer in a head on collision??? Or do you think the truck will break the straps and then rear end you, squashing you between the initial wreck and the truck being towed???

Just because you have towed and not got in an accident or had your truck fall off the trailer does not mean that the method you are using is safe for you, your loved ones or others that share the road with you. PLEASE make sure you tow safely!!!

They are rated at 3300lb WORKING load, and usually 10K or 20K pound BREAKING strength. I think they will be fine;)

Most strap failures are caused by sharp edges, not tensile failures;)

Let's also not forget that in stopping fast, most people have the vehicle in PARK, or have the bark brake set, or both. That isn't going to keep the vehicle stationary obviously, but it will take load off the strap by using the mechanical advantage of the drivetrain to help hold it back.

I have seen trailers flipped with 3 - 5/16" chains holding down a 15K lb piece of machinery and they didn't break, give, or stretch. Those are 4700lb working load rated. Break strength is at least double that;)

Main thing is is make sure ALL your load securing hardware is DOT approved for what you're doing.
Chris

Last edited:
I have seen trailers flipped with 3 - 5/16" chains holding down a 15K lb piece of machinery and they didn't break, give, or stretch. Those are 4700lb working load rated. Break strength is at least double that;)

Chris

I just last week drove by a tag trailer and tandem axle dump truck with a 420 Cat backhoe on it, trailer laying on its side in the middle of the highway. One chain/binder on each corner of the machine. Stayed on the trailer perfectly, and it was clearly obvious that the trailer slid down the road at least 100 feet. I was told that they hooked a chain around the backhoe boom and used a crane to set the entire setup, machine still chained to the trailer, back upright.

Perfect example of what you just said...

Keep in mind the number of chains/straps is pointless if they're not used properly. I see people that haul trucks with a chain through a clevis in a receiver hitch. Everyone worries about the vehicle going forward and nothing is keeping it from coming off the side.

I use 4 3" straps to haul mine. I hook it to the frame and compress the suspension then the truck doesnt bounce around.