Dodge Cummins Water Pump Comparison- Tech Info

Bobcat698

Pure Diesel Power
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but it involves Cummins powered trucks from 1989-2014, so I decided to put it here. Feel free to move it if you feel it belongs somewhere else better.

Through the years, Cummins has gone through a few different water pump "styles". As far as I know, any of the 3 that I've discovered will fit on 89 to current Cummins Engines.
Listed, in order from oldest to newest:
1. Closed vane design
2. Open vane, metal
3. Open vane, plastic/composite

I've attached pictures of the 3 styles made by Murray, which appear to be spot on as far as replicating the OE style.
At some point, I had my 08 Dodge 6.7L Cummins water pump fail, and was forced to replace it with an enclosed pump, as the parts store had nothing else. That unit failed in 100 miles (crappy cheap aftermarket pump). I then picked up a Cummins OEM open metal fin style unit down the road and ran that. I ran that for a few thousand miles but noticed that the coolant temperatures ran about 10 degrees warmer.
I then switched back to an OEM 6.7L Cummins water pump and the temperatures went back to normal.

I've talked to Murray (the aftermarket company that makes the 3 pictured water pumps), and while they couldn't give me actual flow numbers, they indicated that the Closed Vane design flows the most, followed by the composite finned late model water pump, with the open metal vane pump flowing the least.
He also said that Cummins had issues in colder climates with "too much" cooling, causing issues with heat in the cab, so they changed water pump designs going forward..
This makes sense to me, as overall coolant temperature, the way I understand it, is the hotter the coolant, the cleaner the engine will run, emissions wise, which would make sense to reduce the water pump flow to keep the temperatures up.
As we all know, there are cooling issues with the 3rd generation 5.9L & 6.7L Cummins when towing heavy, (moreso with the 6.7L Cummins due to the added "heat load" of the EGR cooler) and the poor radiator design (inlet at the top, outlet 2/3rds the way down the radiator- May have those backwards) the point is, the bottom 1/3rd of the radiator doesn't do its full duty cooling wise because the water wants to travel from the inlet to the outlet, somewhat skipping the bottom.

Does anyone have any input on the 3 pumps, as far as flow? I'm a bit hesitant to accept that the closed vane style flows the most, but I am by no means a fluid flow expert.
Does it make sense that the closed/covered vane design would flow more?

Thanks for reading, hoping to get some good input on this subject.

Attachments

• Cummins_Waterpumps(xtralarge).jpg
    Cummins_Waterpumps(xtralarge).jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Cummins_Waterpumps_topview(xtralarge).jpg
    Cummins_Waterpumps_topview(xtralarge).jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 0
  • CP6158(xtralarge).jpg
    CP6158(xtralarge).jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 0
  • CP6222(xtralarge).jpg
    CP6222(xtralarge).jpg