Electrical guru’s help me out.

bateman

My truck came with 3g mirrors with amber led lights. Previous owner had them wired to the instrument cluster and I eventually noticed that they were dimming when I would dim the cluster. I’m looking to wire them up differently.

Truck is a 95. After some digging I found a schematic and appropriate wires under my column (from multifunction switch) for blinkers. Before I wire them up as just blinkers I have an idea.

Is it possible that I can have the mirrors as running lights, then when my blinkers flash the mirror light would be off and so on. The factory blinker at the head light is dual filament. Minor, major, ground. Just wondering if I can use some diodes or something else to make this happen.

Hopefully I made that clear enough to understand. And y’all forgive me I struggle with electrical.

Here is the schematic. I’m searching for a factory manual to buy. Digging up info on these trucks is terrible compared to the LSx and jeep platforms I’m used to haha

Attachments

• 5EE2109E-4A94-4978-BF8D-84BD6EEDF5AF.jpeg
    5EE2109E-4A94-4978-BF8D-84BD6EEDF5AF.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 0
Wire the leds to your running lamp wire. Then put a relay on each side and wire the relay coils to your left and right turn signal wires. They will get you what you are asking.

Wire running to normally closed contacts. When the turn signal activates the relay, it will open the path and make the light flash, it will just be in opposite sequence with the rest of the turn signals on that side. They will be on when everything else is off on that side. I cool effect if you ask me.

Last edited:
Exactly what I was looking for Jory. You are the man. Thanks

Glad to help out.

Design flaw.....they will not be flashing as turn signals unless you have your running lights on.

Let me ponder some more........I just did a design review in my head and I failed.

Last edited:
Got me farther than I could get myself either way haha I’m in no rush. Greatly appreciated.

Damn. That turns out to be tricky. I got some junk to work on that is urgent. I'll come back around to ya on my lunch break. What I mentioned before will work, you just won't have turn signals unless your clearance lights are on.....which, if it isn't dark enough for your clearance lights...the turn signals really won't do much anyway. :D

Give me some time.

They’ve been unplugged for months so no worries haha I would almost rather have mirrors without the lights but I have lights so figured it was worth a shot. If nothing else I will wire them as you say or maybe even just as blinkers.

They’ve been unplugged for months so no worries haha I would almost rather have mirrors without the lights but I have lights so figured it was worth a shot. If nothing else I will wire them as you say or maybe even just as blinkers.

It would be easier to do with some semiconductors....but I'm trying to figure out how to do it with simple relays.

I’m all ears and like to learn. I’ve always wanted to be better with electrical.

I’m all ears and like to learn. I’ve always wanted to be better with electrical.

I am good with 12 volts, a test light, and on/off switches. Other than that, fuck electricity.

cant just run a wire from the front marker light to it? then it would be on with the lights and blink when they blink. right...depnding on which way ya wire em to be. as markers or as turns...

Yep what Scott said. I got one wire for mirror lights. Factory blinker is dual filament.

Last edited:
i meant just use the wire to do either one. i know ya cant do boh..but if ya just ran the wire from the marker OR the turn couldnt ya just have that?.. i hate elec..idk why i even go in on this.

if i can plug it into a wall socket fukit

Ya'll hate on electricity all you want. You'd be warshin' yer clothes in the river and eatin' fried possum in the candle light if it weren't for electricity. :D

This simple flash when clearance lights are on has proven to beat the fuk out of me. Still trying to figure it out with a simple relay.

Ya'll hate on electricity all you want. You'd be warshin' yer clothes in the river and eatin' fried possum in the candle light if it weren't for electricity. :D

Technically, I don't hate, but it's frustrating
I know my way around a multimeter, but I'll take a coolant, air, fuel or oil leak over those asshole voltage leaks. I can't tell you how many jobs come down to a five minute fix after several hours, or days of troubleshooting.
In a perfect world, with everything laid out in front of you it's a damn simple process to trace circuits, but wrap a truck in miles of wire, loomed up by robots, and then multiplex everything from engine controls to the marker lights.... Shit man, I was pissed when metric became a thing, and doubled the size of our tool boxes.