even older than a 6.2, but i though i would show it.

Don't brag too much they are notorious for crank failures!

They are not notorious for crank failures, although they have had some.There were also issues of the engines blowing up for no apparent reason, except for the fact that the retards at gm put in and recommended 10-30 gasoline engine oil. They were however notorious for seizing injection pumps. Once again, this is because of GM's stupidity. They never bothered putting fuel/water separators in, just regular fuel filters. The only major DESIGN flaw of the engine was the 10 cylinder bolts per cylinder. This lead to chronic head gasket failure.

I run shell rottela 15-40, am going to very quickly install a water separator out of a 6.2L, and if the head gasket goes... ARP head studs.

Last edited:
Two of them were in trucks on farms, they ran diesel oil in it. The 5.7 gave GM a diesel black eye that took forever to get rid of. Small block v8 diesel? Small block v8's never known for their torque, diesel know for the torque. Just a bad combination. I even had some run ins with 6.2's which would at least stay together, but still were very weak. The 6.9 would work circles around the 6.2.

First off the olds diesel was more based on the big block than the small block. It has the big block internals (crank, ect.)with the displacement of the small block. Also the blocks bottom end was much stronger than any gasoline block.

The 5.7/6.2/6.5 is a LIGHT duty diesel made for economy, not power, or heavyness. The 6.9/7.3 is more of a Medium duty diesel, which is why it is heavier, and was only put into the 3/4-1ton trucks.

First off the olds diesel was more based on the big block than the small block. It has the big block internals (crank, ect.)with the displacement of the small block. Also the blocks bottom end was much stronger than any gasoline block.

The 5.7/6.2/6.5 is a LIGHT duty diesel made for economy, not power, or heavyness. The 6.9/7.3 is more of a Medium duty diesel, which is why it is heavier, and was only put into the 3/4-1ton trucks.

6.5 turbo was a decent setup, out pull a gasser 350, and pretty responsive. The 4.3 and 5.7 were gutless wonders.

Having a running 350 diesel conversion engine is definitely unique.

No doubt, it is unique for sure not many of them are left running I wouldn't think. Those cars are cool talk about luxury from top to bottom.

that thing is sick, good to see one in running shape. as far as the diesel black eye thing, some people think it was a bad decision to make it but it was inovative and paved the way for current light truck diesel's

Back