fuel sending unit in tank long/short bed

1066farmall

I have a sending unit out of a long bed truck and a friend needs one for his short bed. will it work in his short bed if it is out of a long bed truck?

thanks for any help!!!!

thanks pocket, I did not know if it would work. I did not want to pull his tank out and try it for fun if you know what I mean...

I did see somewhere that someone modified the float on the long bed sending unit to work on a short bed. I don't really know if I want to take a chance at hurting my sending unit and it might not work.

Put a DMM on the two wires from both the sending units. Take a reading in ohms at the top and bottom of each. You'll know if they will work pretty quick.

If the one you are taking out is not working properly, it should probably still read at the top and bottom since it is not in those positions very often compared to the middle of the range. Got a picture of it?

here it is and my other truck...

Attachments

• fuel.jpg
    fuel.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0
  • pulling truck.jpg
    pulling truck.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 0
If its a float style sending unit and the tanks are the same depth it will work fine. I'm using my factory float on my truck with a smaller 1/2 ton tank and no problems. It is a dodge however.

Back