Garage apartment

Just my 2 cents but I would go with 14' doors and anything will fit inside with the 16' celings even if you will never use the full height it might be good for resale and I bet the cost won't be much at all. And do the aprins right away I didn't and now 6 years later they are finally getting done this month.

I want to do almost this same thing. I would like to build a 40x60x16 for the shop and build a 30x30 apartment on one end. A buddy of mine did like you are wanting to do and build an apartment upstairs on one end. He has a living room, kitchen, bathroom and bedroom upstairs. Laundry room downstairs with another bathroom and closet. Its nothing extremely nice but itll keep you dry and warm when you need it. Overall shop dim. 40x80x18. I don't know for sure on the living area but I would guess it to be 40x30. I think the concrete is 5 inches thick. He has about $20k in his. Hope this helps.

I should have mentioned this was 4 years ago and like I said he did all the work himself.

For the little price difference it makes, pour atleast 4000 psi concrete. Use real rebar, forget the fiber cement. I'm using 5/8" bars on 12" spacing in my 6" slab, but I got the rebar for next to nothing. I would atleast use 1/2" if I had to buy it at full price which would be 1300.

40x60 6" thick @ 100 bucks/yd which is high around here, would be $4400. If you get it prepped yourself, it costs around $0.50/sq ft around here to have it finished, so another $1200.

So did anyone get a final figure on the total? Base, structure, power lines, water lines, everything after it was all done? I've heard around 100-115k and I think i could handle that if I could find land cheap enough Lol...

Heres my shop, 40x60x16 with 20x40 living quarters. Shop is big enough to have 3 fulsize trucks in it and one bay has a lift.

[ame="http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/pogrelis97/media/IMG_7458.jpg.html"]IMG_7458.jpg Photo by pogrelis97 | Photobucket[/ame]
[ame="http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/pogrelis97/media/IMG_7866.jpg.html"]IMG_7866.jpg Photo by pogrelis97 | Photobucket[/ame]
[ame="http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/pogrelis97/media/IMG_0894.jpg.html"]IMG_0894.jpg Photo by pogrelis97 | Photobucket[/ame]

looks like i might be building a apt in an old barn...... the barn has pillars on 16' centers just got to figure out if i want to build it in the loft or on the floor...

looks like i might be building a apt in an old barn...... the barn has pillars on 16' centers just got to figure out if i want to build it in the loft or on the floor...

Loft upstairs would be easy, you can build a raised subfloor up there to run utility/electric. That way everything is hidden and you don't have to cut holes in joists below. That's what a lot of people do with our timber frames.

478983_662795964561_1162801428_o_zpsd76da913.jpg

this is the loft used to be a livestock barn... figure i could build a 14x30 really easy.. he is tearing down another barn/office that he(uncle) built in a semi modular fashion..
1381838_10201730739243795_51286665_n.jpg

This is the perfect way for my business to start. Spring of 2015 I plan to start a trucking business hauling aggregate and getting into excavating down the road. Putting up the shop with living quarters would be perfect to start. That way my truck will be inside every night and I'll have a couple extra bays to work on mine/ others toys on the side. I figure one the business starts to profit we can build a house and turn the living space in the shop into a nice big office for my soon to be wife to do all our business paperwork and her full time job from. I'm in central NY if anyone has any experience dealing with builders in the New England states.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Here a quick sketch of my idea. The apartment will have a full basement. Sorry for my poor drawing skills.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1389204064.162585.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1389204064.162585.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 0
Forgot to mention the shop will be 60x80x20. Apartment will be 30x40 and the office/ mud room will be 20x30. Total will be 60x110'.

Here a quick sketch of my idea. The apartment will have a full basement. Sorry for my poor drawing skills.

I know we are talking very pricy with this idea, but wouldn't it be nice to have your main garage built into a hillside, so it's all shop and basement together, then you can go up and your apartment is above it, but at ground level?

Last edited:
I know we are talking very pricy with this idea, but wouldn't it be nice to have your main garage built into a hillside, so it's all shop and basement together, then you can go up and your apartment is above it, but at ground level?

Yes it is pricy but I want to do this once. I am now thinking of putting all four doors on the front instead do having the big bay for the dump truck on the side. There are a few issues I have with your idea ( which I appreciate your opinion ). The layout of my property is a corn field which is fairly flat and does not offer me the option of a hillside foundation. Also, I don't want the living quarters and office above the shop because of the fumes. Yes I plan on having good ventilation but I just don't want to take the chance and regret it down the road.

Ok. Just got a call back from Allied Steel out of Florida, who I am dealing with, he talked me into sticking with 20' walls and shrinking is down 10'. So it will be 60x100x20'. They have a factory 15 miles from me so shipping will be free. Price is $36,124 which I thought was very good. So the shop will be 60x70', apartment 30x40', and the office/ mud room 20x30'.

Back